+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matched duck quill source?

Default Matched duck quill source?

What online retailer do folks recommend for various colored matched sets? I purchased white and natural from retailer X a while back, and they are not very good quality. It is a struggle to get a pair of slips that are the same size and curvature from them.

Default Re: Matched duck quill source?

Sag:

I recommend [url=http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/:0c42e]Whitetail Fly Tying[/url:0c42e] owned by Chris Helm. Best bet is to look at his online catalog and call him. He a great guy and gives great service.

I also bough a bunch of matched pairs; hand picked by Don Bastian directly from Don. I don't have his contact info handy but I'm sure if he's still selling quills he could help you out too.

One final note: getting good quills isn't as easy as you'd think but ironing them with a warm iron and spending some time straightening stray fibers helps a LOT!

I never thought of Mr. Helm. I have his catalogue on my desktop. I will take a look. I am also going to try your iron trick on these I have. Thanks.

Good matched duck quill in these parts is getting hard to come by..Unless you know a duck hunter, My closest shop has plenty of matched pairs...It's just that these pairs are clearly from mixed breed ducks with white streak's,spot's,and even marbling...Just awful looking for most aplications in tying..When I find good stocks ,I buy them out...And still take whatever the hunters will save for me..I love quill slip winged wets!

I gotta get in touch with mr.Helm myself one of these days and replenish my deer hair supply..Hear nothing but good things of him and his selection of material's...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I have several matched pairs of mallard wings and wigeon wings in my freezer, left over from hunting season. Of course they are not dyed. If you are interested, PM me w/ your address and they are yours.

+ Reply to Thread