+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halloween Fly

Default Halloween Fly

I was just talking with a friend in Mesa, AZ. He was telling me his new son in law, who has undoubtably improved his father in laws opinion of him, has introduce my friend to the Halloween Fly. I Googled it and did not come up with much in the way of info. It was described as a variety of orange and black wooly bugger using a variegated chenille, if I understood correctly. Do any of you have additional info or photos. I understand it is killer for trout, the Lord knows I need all the help I can get there.

BTW, the moon was full last night and the temp today just shy of 90 deg.F. The bream at Cedar Creek Lake [Chapman Lake] should be prime this weekend. Picked up about 18 last Sunday from 6:30 pm to 8:30pm, some of the largest I have caught off public water.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Default Re: Halloween Fly

I'm totally clueless but i can try

http://www.montanafly.com/pic%20for%20p ... 80105.html

i doubt thats it but maybe..

WWFF

i just tied this fly based on your description
    and im not sure if its what your talking about
    tell me if its something like it?

I will forward this one to my friend in AZ and get his comments. Personally, I liked the looks of it, but I'm not a fish. My wife would probably tell you not even much of a catch.

I really think color takes a back seat to shape and solohette anyway.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

My friend in AZ said the orange and black wooly bugger was close. He told me he might photograph one and email it to me. I haven't quite figured out this inserting a photo in the bulletin board here but I will try to get it done some how.

On the subject of color, your neighbors out in Collierville have made a pretty good living off the different colored lures and plastic worms. If you have been around the South long you know the bass fishing community bought a lots of color selectors and weird baits back in the 80's. I sure the bass fishermen the the rest of the country did like wise.

I'm hoping to be over in the Memphis area soon and to do some bream fishing down outside Hernando. If you know someone who will let you in Woodland Lake be sure to go. Don't try to slip in they have their own warden who checks the lake really close. Last year we were the only boat on it, waves were breaking over the side of the boat and he came over to check us out. They closed the Corky's here in Atlanta and I am getting a BBQ deficiency.

Uncle Jesse,
    I know Marv Taylor tied a Halloween leech that used the variegated chenille. He used to write for the Stillwater section of FAOL. If you can search back there, you might find a reference.
    Mike

Is this the fly you are looking for.

Bill

Thanks guys, I may have to try and put one together and go over to the Chattahoochee.

Made it out today and was a little disappoint with the bream, a relatively new lake for me and I only located a few beds and the fish were a little on the small side. I did stumble up on Mama bass around 6 lb. but looked like she really needed a good meal. Do the female loss a lot of weight during the spawn? From the size of the head and the length this fish should have been a couple of lbs. heavier. Still great fun on my 3 wt. TFO.

I've always done very well with the bugger that flyandtie has displayed. We always call em Halloween buggers. Coincidently I've done well with a Halloween bugger in October for big cutts at Strawberry Res. (For any of you in Utah). Great fly. I highly recommend it.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread