+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Change?

Default Rain Change?

Just a quick little poll here...

Who has really noticed any change in how fish bite based on rain? Some folks say it's always best right as the rain starts, some say just before the rain, and some say while it's raining.

We've had torrents of rain here in the midwest, so I've had little to no luck with fish since the water has been up. I went out for about an hour on Wed. eve and was fishing from the bank in a sprinkling rain to no avail. The rain increased and still no bites. The rain stopped and still nothing.

Speculation is all I can do, but I'd like to know whether there's really any change in their behavior.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Default Re: Rain Change?

i have notice that the action picks up just as it starts raining

action slows during pouring shower

and then the fish go nuts when the shower stops to all but a drizzle

then the system repeats
    just my experience
    chris

Hi MOturkE,

Similar, my experience has been that fishing is good before a rain, but stops almost dead when it starts. Later it slowly picks back up.

Regards,

Gandolf

My experience is it depends a lot on the weather before the rain.

If it's been very hot with no rain for a few days, fishing seems to be better right before a rain comes up. I believe it has to do with a cooling of the surface temprature of the water and perhaps the cloud cover and chop on the water when compared to bright calm and hot conditions just prior.

In the spring time and late autumn when waters are cooler, I have seen less dramatic change right before a storm or rain.

While I have caught fish in a rain, I've never caught enough to offset the miserable experience of standing in a driving rain and trying to fish while rain clouds my eye glassses.

Right after a rain, well, it's a mixed bag from here. I can't really say it's any better or worse than right before the rain. A short summer shower yes, especially surface fishing along the bank and under trees where the brief downpour has knocked a bunch of bugs and hoppers into the water. If it's been an all-day soaker, I don't see much difference right after a rain stops.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

My expereience is that alot depends on how clear the water is to start with. I am like you in that we have had so much rain tha the ponds look like chocolate milk. It does not matter if it rains or not right now.
    Later when the water is clearer I will look for places were water will run into a pond and fish nymphs very slowly right on the bottom. Fish seem to come to those places when it rains as they know things will be washed in.

Rick

My experience is after it rains, in my home lake, the fish stack up off of drainage pipes/culverts. The rest of the lake will seem "fishless" during the same time.

I've caught fish before,during and after rain. Methinks fish are notional and bite when the mood strikes them. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for why fish bite or when, but given my druthers, I'druther be fishing when they decide it's time to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by rodgerole
    I've caught fish before,during and after rain. Methinks fish are notional and bite when the mood strikes them. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for why fish bite or when, but given my druthers, I'druther be fishing when they decide it's time to bite.
    This has been my experience as well. I've never noticed any consitent changes regarding rain storms and the bite increase/decrease. Sometimes it is better before and sometimes after. I've caught a lot of fish in a down pour too, but not as often and always deep. Does anyone have any scientific evidence one way or the other. I've been told that it has less to do with the fact that it is raining and more to do with a change in barometric pressure, but I really couldn't say one way or the other.
    Leave No Trace

I've had one experience on Lake Erie, fishing from shore on the point of an island just before a big storm blew in. The fish were in an absolute frenzy....smallmouth, walleye, white bass. Every cast yielded a fish. We tried every lure in the box, and couldn't find one they wouldn't hit (this was before my fly fishing days). Jigs, soft plastics, spinners, spoons, poppers, cranks, plugs. Most hits came within seconds of the lure hitting the water. It lasted close to an hour. As soon as we had a few bouts of lightning, the action stopped. I've not seen anything like it before or since. We ended up with 3 smallmouths between 3 and 4 lbs. and 7 walleye over 3lbs. on the stringer. We probably released 50 fish, almost all of which were adult size. I haven't kept a smallmouth since then.

This happened in late June of 1979, middle of the afternoon on a hot day.

Wild One,

I agree with you, I think it has more to do with barometric pressure than anything else. But, then again, that's how I was raised. My Dad always checked the bm pressure before we went fishing. I find myself still doing it today, he always wanted it to be rising. Even though I check it, doesn't mean I don't go if it's falling or steady. If I can go, I go!!!!! I do think there is something to it though.

Carl
    just my 2 cnts worth
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

+ Reply to Thread