+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RX7+ 5wt

Default RX7+ 5wt

Finally finished my 5th rod. It is on a Rainshadow RX7+ blank, a beatiful chestnut brown blank from Batson, I was fortunate enough to have found it at a discount.

I used green wraps and gold trim. With no color preserver, the wraps turned an emerald green after the finish was applied, perfectly matching the green woven graphite Batson reel seat. The striping guides have gold inserts to match the gold trim bands.

The reel in the picture is an Elkhorn CL2 in antique gold, I won in the monthly drawing here on FAOL. Although the classic design of the reel doesn't really match the woven graphite reel seat, it still looks great on the rod. I also won the 5wt GLX fly line on an FAOL drawing, so keep entering each month.

With all the luck, something was bound to go wrong. Opps, whats wrong with this picture.

I carefully marked where the reel seat was and where the lettering and drawing of the fish went. Only, I forgot to turn the rod over. I didn't notice it until I had finished the rod and put the reel on to test cast it.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Default Re: RX7+ 5wt

beautiful rod!! hope you enjoy it.
    I built a rx7 this winter and iam very happy with it. now i just need more time on the river

Blog Entries

Beautiful rod! The color looks like a Sage RPL.

Greg

Looks absolutely beautiful. The green wraps with gold tipping is a great combo I'll have to keep that color scheme in mind for future projects. I built a RX7+ 6wt last winter for my father and think it's a great blank for the $$. (especially if you get them on sale)

Sweet looking reel too!

Very nice build. One question: Did you leave off the hook keeper intentionally? I noticed you have a fly inbeded in your cork handle. My experience is that practice leads to early deterioration of the cork from repeated piercing, especially if you get the barb into the cork.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

You are correct, I did not install a hook keeper on the rod. I got to the point that I never use one anymore. I hook the fly on the second stripping guide support and wrap the line back around the reel. This is common practice in saltwater since it allows you to keep more line out to make quicker casts. The fly in the pictures was more balanced on the grip for effect than actually hooked into it. I never actually hook flies into the cork, since, as you suggested, it will eventually damage the cork.

Who is John Galt?

very nice job
    very cool that you also won the reel and line to go with it
    looks awesome

dunfly,
    Nice work. I hope I can measure up. I'm waiting for delivery of an RX-7, 5 weight only in a gloss green and 7 1/2 feet long. I went with a Struble reel seat and snake guides. I'm also considering an agate stipper guide. Weight isn't an isssue with me as much as asthetics is. I also like the fish you have on the butt section, but I'm going to put "1 Cor 3: 16,17" on mine. I hope I can do 1/2 the quality work you have done.
    Very Nice!
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech
    I also like the fish you have on the butt section, but I'm going to put "1 Cor 3: 16,17" on mine.
    Glad you picked up on the symbolism. I plan on using that on all my rods from now on. Nice reference on keeping the body by the way. I'm sure we will meet someday.

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread