Good Morning tyeflier,
I can clearly identify with the issues you have posed. However,I am 100% in agreement with what Grumps has advised and can add what I did last summer when I had a major surgery as well. Knowing that I had to take it very easy for 8 weeks post surgery, I prepared a list of all flyfishing books that I wanted to read and all the ffing videos that would help me improve my fishing and or tying. I made lists of new fly patterns that I wanted to tie and try when I could get out. However, when I was able to get on stream, I started slowly at the community blugill pond. I clearly remember the day we were in WVa visiting our place up there during the later part of my recuperation and I was walking along a stream "just looking" and seeing what was there . I was so busy sighting fish that I did not watch where I was stepping and fell. The worry about what I might have done to myself was such that we cut our trip short and came home. My Doc was not happy about the risk I had placed myself in and I resolved from that point on to follow instructions to the letter. I also used the time to organize my tying desk and supplies and yes, I did go fondle my gear regularly. I guess what the important thing here is take it easy means exactly that and no less. Good luck and speedy recovery to you It will only hurt for a while.