+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Elitists' Sport"

Blog Entries

Default "Elitists' Sport"

Castwell hit the nail on the head in my opinion when he mentioned that we need to do all we can to encourage new fly anglers as well as to stamp out the image of fly anglers as "eliteists". Can't really put the finger of blame on any one person or group. Nonetheless there it is so our work is cut out for us.

I try to mention that I am a fly angler whenever the opportunity arises and to then make sure I present an image that is non-elitist. That is how I believe we will win over the day, one by one, letting others know that its just good old fun. One analogy I like to use (some may disagree) is to compare fly angling to conventional tackle angling as bow hunting is to gun hunting. One is more limited in range and other factors but is however satisfying in its own way and does not pretend to snobbery as regards gun hunters. I also reveal that I enjoy drifting live bait or catfishing with cut bait if the opportunity arises.

What ideas do you have, how do you [url=http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/disabuse:b5e3e]disabuse[/url:b5e3e] others of the "elitist" image they may old of our way of fishing?

http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

Default Re: "Elitists' Sport"

When asked why I fly fish I tell folks that it is because I think that it just more fun. I always carry some extra flies to give away to those who don't fly fish. If possible I like to let the non flyfisher try to catch a fish on the long rod. It is worth a million words to see a 9 or 10 year old kid catch a fish, usually a bluegill, on my flyrod. I also tell them about using spinning gear, a bubble and a fly. That may get them started.

Tim

Fly-fishing IS somewhat elitist. Nature of the beast and a neat aspect of the sport unless you have some sort of weird guilt complex.

Fly anglers...as a group...are more educated, earn more income, achieve higher levels of professional attainment, and are far more ecologically-conscious anglers than other types of fishermen/women. We are also a TINY sub-culture within the angling community. This is the very definition of the word "elite."

Fly-fishing is the "gentleman's" fishing. I hope to GOD it never loses that! And 90% of people who enjoy fishing are NEVER going to invest the time, energy, intellectual effort, or money in fishing that is necessary for competency in fly-fishing.

I'm all for being inclusive and welcoming of everyone who is interested in fly-fishing. I do NOT endorse or condone SNOBBERY. But that is not the same as elitism. I hope we never compromise our higher standards, and I hope we never become ashamed of our elite status in the angling community.

And I don't think JC's column was about elitism at all. I think it was about mentoring and being HELPFUL to newcomers. I think it was advocating the NON-COMPETITIVE spirit of fly angling vs. the pervasively over-competitive nature that has overtaken most hunting and fishing endeavors these days. And that non-competitive spirit is a HUGE part of the "elitism" of fly-fishing...it is one of the fundamental differences between the fly angler and other types of anglers.

Elitism is something to take quiet pride in. Do you think that the Army Rangers, the Green Berets, the Navy SEALs, the Eagle Scouts, the British SAS, or the German GSG9 commandos are EMBARASSED by their elitism? How about Ivy League graduates, members of MENSA, etc.? It takes an extra effort and a rare personality to be members of these groups. The members are RIGHTFULLY PROUD of their status in those communities and organizations. They make no apology for the fact that most neither want nor CAN be members.

Anyone who intentionally chooses to eschew the easier ways of putting hooks into the mouths of fishes and bringing them to hand and limits his/her methods in an outdoor pursuit of game in an effort to challenge him/herself above the norm is a rare and special person. Normal folks want the easiest, cheapest means to the ends: catching fish.

I, for one, refuse to apologize for the fact that I choose the more difficult path. I also don't have any unrealistic notions that any large percentage of the outdoor recreation community ever will make the same choice. We will ALWAYS be a small sub-culture. And that is just fine with me. But that also means that we should cherish and encourage and support every single person we meet who SHARES OUR INTEREST in the "narrow path." And I think THAT'S what JC was getting at.

Can't, explain any better than that. Very well said, Ken.

Blog Entries

Interesting points. I suppose it all boils down to the definition of "elitism" Many people equate "elitism" with "snobbery"

My point is simply and only that of disabusing new, interested folks of the idea that its a sport for snobs; that misconception has to be handled in many of the cases I have encountered where I am answering questions about fly angling.

It does indeed take work, practice and dedication to reach a level of competence in this, or any aspect of fishing and I enjoy the work and its rewards.

So how do you each deal with the false ideas of "snobbery"?

I used to belong to a bass club. The clubs existence revolved around a monthly bass tournament, held solely so the winner could belittle his friends at the next meeting. The club was geared to drive away blacks, women, and anyone not christian. The tournaments were opportunities to cheat on wifes and drink as much as a quart of whiskey the night before a tournament. Then go out on a lake at 60mph to a secret place that no one could be told about. This is why I went to trout Unlimited. Call me "elite" but with all of TU's faults I would never go back to bass clubs.

Tom

Blog Entries

Just to illuminate my point further, American Heritage Dictionary defines "elitism" as: "The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources."

But simple "elite" can be defined as "The best or most skilled members of a group"

Obviously two entirely different concepts that unfortunately share a similar symbol.

I am proud to be "elite" but shun the label of "elitist"

How do each of you handle it when its apparant that someone views fly angling as a pursuit for "elitists"?

the problem is, a lot of flyfishers do act the part of snobs. right or wrong that is what's done.

Blog Entries

rizeye

Unfortunately that is the case sometimes. What would be some ways that y'all might handle the misconception that its a sport solely for elitist snobs?

10. Default Re: "Elitists' Sport"

Perception is often the problem. You may be perceived as a snob simply because of your appearance. Wearing waders, vest, wading boots, and net is enough to make you appear a snob to those that do not understand the necessity of the equipment. This is not the fly angler's fault. People are quick to judge, and first impressions are often wrong.

A smile or wave, or an opportunity to discuss fishing techniques, can sometimes be educational to all. However, human nature is difficult to overcome. All you can really do is be a good ambassador for the sport.

+ Reply to Thread