+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite NP FF suggestions

Default Yosemite NP FF suggestions

I am new to this message board. I am from FL and have fished out west a few times but not in CA. Most of my trout fishing has been in the Smokies. I plan to be in Yosemite in mid June and plan to FF some. Any suggestions that time of year? Heard that Dana Fork or Lylle Fork can be good. Any news about the Merced River at this time? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Yosemite NP FF suggestions

We are in a low water year. The Merced will be completely fishable by then. Weather will probably be hot. Our hatchess out here are not very prolific. I fish attactors for dries and most nymphs will do. Anything from a 10 to a 16. Don't expect to catch alot. It is not easy, a good day is 5 trout. I think you may be able to wet wade it by then. Bring a wading staff and some good river wading shoes.

The Merced in the park is flatter, the fish are smaller
    , and it is easier to get around.

The Merced just outside the western entrance to Yosemite is more rugged with a little bigger fish tha those in the park.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your input. The low water conditions I fear are only going to add to the stealth that will be required. I had read that the conditions were tough because of the clear water and the fish are less than 12". I am certain that the size and number of the fish will be dwarfed by the grandeur of Yosemite. I will try the Merced as well as the S and M. Forks of the Tuolumne (outside the park) which is near where we will be staying. If you or anyone else have other alternatives nearby I would be grateful.

Thanks again! Have a good summer!

I had a friend who just went to one of the forks of the Tuloumne River ~~ he caught several fish holding in pockets on the sides of the faster currents. He usually fishes dries with a dropper but caught most of the fish that trip on a tungsten wooly bugger. The rivers should be very fishable by mid June. This year the Sierra received 29% of normal snow pack. Little snow = short run off = long dry, hot summer. Not a good equation for us.

Best Fishes

I am also heading to Yosemite from Florida, leaving this saturday, so I am very interested in this thread. I'll be out a little earlier, so the rivers are probably going to still be up. I'll try to write a report as to how I did and where.

RHK: When are you leaving for Yosemite? Where are you from in Florida? I'm in the Tampa Bay area.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Dunfly: I'll be there June 14-21. I'm attending a conference in Sacramento (June 9-14) the week before and plan to fish close by (Yuba River and Putah Creek). I'm from the Orlando area.

Great! A report would be much appreciated. I'll check while I'm out there.

Have a great time!

When you're done fishing at Putah Creek, please make sure you spray down all of your gear. Putah has New Zealand Mud Snails...

There's a guide that's worked with a club I belong to in the Bay Area....he works the Merced/Yosemite area. You can pick up some info from his web site even if you're not looking for a good guide. You can find his web site at http://www.sierraflyfisher.com/

When you're driving out to Yosemite, if you go about ten miles or so out of your way, you can drop into the Motherlode Fly Shop in Sonora. That will get you local info (they're maybe 35 miles from the entrance to Yosemite. http://www.motherlodefly.com/

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to pick up a California fishing license...even Yosemite requires it these days. If you need info on picking one up, just holler and a link will be posted.

Blog Entries

I am looking forward to fishing the Yosemite area this summer, too.
    Read this before you go to Putah Creek:

http://www.flyline.com/environmental/nzms/

In order to keep from transmitting the snails I use my old gear for Putah.

Greg

Thanks for all the info and especially the reminder re: Putah. I'll be coming from Sacramento to Yosemite so the Motherlode fly shop is essentially on the way.

Plan to pick up license while in Sacramento. Any suggestions for a shop or place to pick up would be appreciated too. I understand that the license also needs to be placed visibly rather in your vest/chest pack.

I've read that Yuba River is barbless. May be a stupid question but does that mean no barbed hooks on you while fishing or just the one you are using? Because of the access/property owner issues north of Hwy 20 and being from FL, I guess I should plan to fish the area down stream?

Can't wait to get there! Never fished in CA!

I always recommend if you are in the area of Lee Vining to stop and eat at the Whoa Nelli Deli (the Mobil gas station at the corner of 120 and 395). The food is absolutely fabulous. Try the huckleberry ribs ~~ mmmmm, mmmmm, good.

+ Reply to Thread