Don Davis, proprietor of Great Western Flyfishing in Loveland, CO and Alpine Flyfishing Outfitters in Estes Park, CO, passed away on April 28, 2007, while on a trip to Missouri to teach and learn more about flyfishing. His death was a surprise to everyone. His family and friends are carrying on the business in his absence. I found out after returning from the Washington Fish-In, expecting to drop in for a cup of coffee and a chat about the big fish he was putting his clients onto. What a shock!

Don always had a smile on his face, and shared his extensive fishing and fly tying knowledge freely with everyone--you didn't have to buy anything at his store to get reams of advice on where to go, what to toss at the fish, and how to present your fly. He always knew exactly how every river in our area was fishing, and how to approach the waters--because he was out guiding every week in addition to running the stores and tying flies. He appreciated a good sense of humor and would joke right back with you -- after he sold one of our tying desks on consignment, he told me with a straight face that it had fallen off the back of his truck on the way to the Estes store, and could we build him another right away? I'll always remember the hoot we got out of that!

Don is already greatly missed by his family, and by the thousands of friends and customers that he got to know during his years in the flyfishing business. Tight lines, Don -- I hope you are netting some big ones up there!
His obituary and picture are on the Great Western website:
http://greatwesternflyfishing.com/
DANBOB