+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading Jacket Recommendation

Default Wading Jacket Recommendation

Looking for a recommendation on a bomb proof wading jacket.....any suggestions, pros and cons to a particular model welcome

Default Re: Wading Jacket Recommendation

Bomb proof, I use an Orvis Tailwater. Ren?e uses a Chota Deluxe.

Both have held up well. They don't have the same "style".
    viewtopic.php?t=2350&highlight=chota
    Christopher Chin

Patagonia SST. Big deep pockets and absolutely waterproof. Best $300 I ever spent.

Quote Originally Posted by K3's
    Looking for a recommendation on a bomb proof wading jacket.....any suggestions, pros and cons to a particular model welcome

Although I have the new 2007 version of Patagonia's SST (my 3rd one over the past 10 years or so), I'd hold off for the moment in calling it bomb proof.

It's made of a very lightweight stretch material, unlike the two older versions I had, and after wearing it for a couple days recently, I'm not so sure how this material will hold up to the rigors of the type of fishing I do. Patagonia will replace or refund your purchase price if you're not satisfied though, so that's a plus. It does have some nice features; however, for a bomb proof jacket I think I'd have to take a hard look at Simms.

John

I believe this is the one I have....though I haven't been in extreme weather with it [yet] I believe it will be "bullet proof"...I particularly like the neoprene cuffs...and thought the price was right....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I have to give my vote to Simms and their G3 jacket if price is not an issue. I haven't tried any other high end jackets so I can't compare to another brand. So far my G3 has kept me dry in a torrential downpour, kept me warm in frigid conditions by keeping the windproof promise, and proven to be capable of carrying the amount of gear I need, notice I didn't say want, to take with on a days fishing. I don't think the cuffs are truly waterproof but they do what I expected them to and that is prevent any water from running down my arms while casting and general wear. The hood features drawstrings that make it adjustable to any head shape and size regardless of hat, a feature I love but didn't realize it had. The only gripes I have is that the rear pocket is a bit on the small side for carrying an extra layer of clothes, and it's not quite as packable as my last jacket, but I can live with these small issues. All in all i am very pleased with it. If you are looking for a low priced garment that will keep you dry, help with the wind, carry a fly box or two with no frills I strongly recommend the Cabela's Gore Tex wading jacket. For around $150 it kept me dry for roughly 6 years with no complaints. This is really an excellent pruchase in my opinion. I probably would have bought another one but my G3 came as a gift from my wife and who am I to argue with a gift.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

I have a N.Z. made Swazzi wading jacket and it is one of my best ever fishing purchases. I have had it for about 4 or 5 years and it has taken a hammering and is still fully water and wind proof. It is so waterproof that if I tighten the wrist strap I can plunge my whole arm under the water to retrieve a snagged fly and only my hand gets wet! Oh yes and it "breathes" as well so it does not get too hot when I am walking a few miles to get to the good spots. However this is a very costly purchase and I was lucky to recieve one as a birthday present or else I would still be putting up with being wet and cold while fishing. The winter temps on the Tongariro get down to about minus 5 or 6 degrees in the early mornings so this jacket is very good at keeping me warm and dry.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Patagonia SST!

I purchased my second new Patagonia SST last year

After the first SST finally developed its first leak after 18 years of hard service

Nothng like effectiveness!
    Max

10. Default Re: Wading Jacket Recommendation

The Simms G3 jacket is the best jacket on the market. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet! I have yet to hear any problems with this jacket.

Josh
    www.rogueflyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread