+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Scientific Anglers a reputable brand?

Default Re: Is Scientific Anglers a reputable brand?

I just wanted to add that I had a chance to try out the "Ready to Fish" SA Kit that they sell at Walmart, while I was at the Michigan Fish In. RUN to Walmart and don't hesitate to pick this combo up. It casts very well and is well put together. If you have never tried fly fishing before and don't want to blow a lot of money yet, this is a GREAT entry level rod to get you started. If you have kids you want to get a rod for, this is the one. If you already have a lot of gear but are looking for a back up rod, one you can loan to friends, or use as a teaching tool ...this is the rod. You will be truly amazed at what you get for the price.

Scientific Angler (3M) has been in the business for a long time and has quality product in every price range. I have a couple of Avid series rods which I like very much.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Scientific Angler is a division of 3M. Think back how many products have you ever bought with 3M on them that did not perform as advertised?

3M was a client when I was working in fire prevention and I believe they approach quality with the same fervor they have for safety and fire prevention. Great company, Wish I owned stock in them.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi
    I just wanted to add that I had a chance to try out the "Ready to Fish" SA Kit that they sell at Walmart, while I was at the Michigan Fish In. RUN to Walmart and don't hesitate to pick this combo up. It casts very well and is well put together. If you have never tried fly fishing before and don't want to blow a lot of money yet, this is a GREAT entry level rod to get you started. If you have kids you want to get a rod for, this is the one. If you already have a lot of gear but are looking for a back up rod, one you can loan to friends, or use as a teaching tool ...this is the rod. You will be truly amazed at what you get for the price.
    <snip>
    Yep yep yep. I have to agree. I can even cast one with my right hand, and I'm a Southpaw. (Thank you, JC)

Ed

Oh yeah, 'reputable' doesn't even start to describe that strange 'little' Scientific Anglers division of 3M. There's an article within the last couple years about them in "Fly Fishing Trade" magazine, explaining how they relate to their big brothers at massive 3M. Obviously, you get what you pay for--a more expensive top of the line Scientific Anglers product from a fly shop will be better than an SA Walmart cheapie. A quick inventory of my fishin' bag right now includes SA for about half my fly line, I also see floatant, an emergency backup reel, leaders, tippet.......and almost all my fly boxes are SA System X now. The best fly box ever. It's a comforting feeling to be in some tiny town in the middle of nowhere, desparately needing to replace broken fly tackle, and finding SA products. At least you know they won't be cheap crap that breaks on first use! If some yahoo ever broke into my truck and stole all my gear, I'd be perfectly confident that I could go to WalMart, buy everything SA at a reasonable price, and save the fishing trip without missing a beat. I have similar feelings for Cortland products. And gosh, both are FAOL sponsors. DANBOB

L2L leader. Very nice!

Enough said.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread