+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Memorial Bench?

Default Memorial Bench?

Do we have word yet about the dedication of the Al Campbell Memorial Bench?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: Memorial Bench?

Betty,
    I copied this picture of Al's Bench to my favorite photos in December. I'm not quite geek enough to figure out how to use the search option here but maybe you are. It came from the front page of FAOL in December I think.
    I miss him too.

God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Well done, Joe!!

This past Sunday, the 20th of May, there was to have been a dedication service in Rapid City, for Als' bench. We weren't able to be there ( our grandsons high school graduation ), and I was wondering how well attended the service was? If anyone got pictures? Bagpipes?

We'll be there next week, and I'm looking forward to a sit, and a short visit, with Al.

Elliott? You got that barbed wire cleaned up yet?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I wasn't able to be there to play the pipes...I was in Zimbabwe, so my deepest appologies for not making the trip. It would have been my great pleasure to be able to do it. I too would like to know who all was able to make it, perhaps a rundown of the memorial service and the fish caught afterwards.

Thunderthumbs.

Hello All,

Elliott's wife here. Yes, sometimes even I lurk! The Memorial service was mostly attended by family. About 17 or so of us total. Pastor Brent Parker of Destiny FourSquare Church led the service. He was Al's pastor as well as neighbor and friend. Elliott had a few words to say about Al and everyone here at FAOL who helped in making the bench a reality, and then some of the family members shared stories about Al. Pastor Brent (an extremely talented singer and guitarist) led us in Amazing Grace, he read a couple of scripture passages, and then we gathered in a circle holding hands around the bench and had a final prayer to dedicate the bench. Very nice.

The clouds had been rolling in for a couple of hours beforehand and the temperature dropping, but the rain held off. I had to smile about half way through because there was a solitary rumble of thunder. I didn't know Al on a personal basis and in fact had only met him a few of times at Scheels (when I was wandering around dazedly trying to find something to give Elliott for his birthday, anniversary, Christmas, etc. -- I learned quickly, when in doubt or very confused, FIND AL!), but I feel I know Al and what kind of a man he was through Elliott and all the stories that have been shared about him since his death. Anyway, that one solitary rumble of thunder made me smile because I couldn't help but think that that was Al grumbling about all the fuss that was being made.

Elliott is in California on business for a couple of days, but I'll make sure he knows you're expecting to hear from him when he gets back.

Betty, he's on vacation as soon as he returns so I'll add the barbed wire cleaning to the "honey-do" list I've started for him! I'm looking forward to meeting you. Hopefully you'll have a better trip this year. We've had rain for the last 3 or 4 days. Let's hope it continues so these water levels rise.

Leah
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

Isn't my wife awesome??!! Leah said it better than I could have. I hope all your questions were answered. Will Saylor, the Hatchery manager, contacted both KOTA TV and Kevin Wooster at the RC Journal, but neither saw fit to come out and cover the dedication. Word is Kevin at the paper wasn't a big fan of Al's, but I don't know the WHOLE story.

It was a nice service. Patty's brother Floyd said that he was expecting a few mountain goats or Bighorn Sheep to come down off the hill but none were visible. I'd be lying if I said I didn't look up several times for them during the service.

I see my Honey-Do list got a little bigger while I was gone. Betty, I'm working on it. See you both soon.
    Elliott

Therefore,,, no pictures?

Sorry, no. I was involved with the service and didn't have a chance. There was only family, a few friends of the Campbells, and Will Saylor from the Hatchery. No one else made it. Al's family came down for Patty's funeral a few weeks back and they had the opportunity to see the bench then. It was just too long a trip from Great Falls to do the drive again that soon. I know that some were planning on coming down for the service before Patty's passing.
    Elliott

+ Reply to Thread