+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life expectancy of a dry fly?

Default Life expectancy of a dry fly?

Hi all,
    I was just wondering how long do your flys last before falling apart? My flies don't last long, maby a morning
    or afternoon but that is about it. Thanks.

Default Re: Life expectancy of a dry fly?

Depending on what it is, about the same as you say for a Bugger, Wulff or Humpy or similar. A nymph should last longer. Generally if a fly can catch at least one fish I am happy, it has done its job as far as I am concerned.

I think everybody else I know looks for much more from a fly, at least several fish and a few days fishing, or they grizzle about it.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I have had some dries last all day long catching fish after fish and some come untied of fall apart after 2 fish. A lot of times it depends on how gentle I am taking the fly out of the jaw. Forceps can really do a number. For some reason my humpys take a beating really quickly. Maybe the deer hair is just a little more brittle or something. I've also noticed though, that the more beat up my flies are, the better they catch fish! Not sure about that one, but I don't really mind either. I'll keep fishing a dry till I have to apply Gink after every fish or it just simply shredds away. At that point, it is totally worth tossing it and I don't care.

BTW, welcome the FAOL!!
    Leave No Trace

Mine usually last until a tree rises to it.

If you want a dry fly that does it all for trout and warm water species that you don't have to keep treating with floatant and have it fall apart within a few fish. Mr. Fran Better came up with a fly called The Usual. The fly utilizes snowshoe Hare feet and is very easy to tie and there are many variations.

SSH patterns are versatile patterns that can be fished as standard dry flies or skittered across the surface in the manner of Len Wright?s caddis patterns. The patterns can also be effective under water on the swing or under drag. One feature of SSH patterns is their ability to float like a cork. Not many patterns have the floatability of the SSH patterns with the exception today being the foam bodied flies.

SSH feet have several positive attributes. The under fur makes a fabulous buoyant body dubbing. The guard hairs, while coarse, do have the ability to be packed and tyed on as wings and tails without undue bulk. The natural sheen of the under fur and guard hairs also gives a SSH pattern a translucence quality that trout like to bite. SSH feet come in a natural range of colors from white to a dark dun, but thanks to modern dying ? olive, wood-duck, black, and orange are colors that broaden the scope of use for SSH patterns.

Do a search, get some SSH feet in various colors and sizes and you will have a fly that will take over your fly box. If you do it and are not happy, I'll buy the SSH feet from you.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich
    Yep, as a total newbie I've lost 3 or 4 flies to the trees and bushes on one outing. I'm getting better. I've used the same fly on the last 2 evenings out. I did notice that it was looking a little ratty last night though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich

What he said...

Ed

Wooley buggers seem to get trashed a bit quick. One of my eyed wooloey buggers lasted thru 14 crappie 3 bass and 6 large bluegill one evening and was ready to catch more. I was a bit loose by then but was still holding together.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

They last alot longer if you don't catch fish with them, but I don't suggest you try it. It is better to have caught and lost than not to have caught at all.

jed

Jed,
    That was good!
    Chris,
    Welcome! After you get a LOT of experience, you will be a good critic of the flies you buy. If the fly doesn't look very good then it will probably fall apart quicker.
    If you tie your own flies, then YOU control the quality, not as a beginner but later.
    Tying your own flies, you can be as paranoid as you want! Tie in the tail, apply cement or super glue, coat the thread on the hook with glue and wrap the body material over it. and on and on!
    Also as many can attest to, fish are not going to ignore your fly just because it get's a little ragged.
    Soft Hackle flies are a good example.
    Good Luck!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread