+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado advice

Default Colorado advice

I'm heading for Colorado in early July and plan on doing some fishing in the Leadville/Twin Lakes area. I've never fished this area and would like to get some advice on some good areas to hit while I'm up there and general patterns that are good in that area. I'm probably going to hike up on trails and fish some of the streams and lakes that are a bit more remote, but I will be camped on the shore of Twin Lakes, so I will have to try that too. I'm planning on having my standard supply of gold ribbed hare's ears, pheasant tails, and elk hair caddis, but I really don't know the entomology of the area at all.

i dont know much about that area, but I just wanted to tell you to have a good trip, and to have loads of fun!

Fly fishing is just beter...

Well, if your right at Twin Lakes, you have got to fish the ARkansas. It should be very good unless some storms muddy up the water a bit. It is just downstream of Twin Lakes and it goes for about a 100 miles or so from there. The dry fly and streamer action ought to be pretty good.

You definitely should have your caddis and stonefly adults. Hopper dropper rigs are also good. Traditional muddlers are good there when the flows are higher and also yellow marabou muddlers.

Best of Luck.

I second the Ark advice. I was just there for the early caddis hatch, and can't wait to go back in July for the hopper action. Great river. Fun area.

Caddis. caddis, and more caddis!

Don't forget BWO's, midge patterns, brassies, copper john's, etc. etc. If you like pocket water, try browns canyon on the arkansas just north of salida. park at the upper parking area and cross the river and head downstream along the rr tracks. I use a #18-20 hook, green wire body and a little peacock herl for hackle. name that fly!! LOL drop that below a PTN and indicator. I catch fish all day long with that setup.

------------------
    Best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Something I seldom remember to do.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I need to start tying so I can be stocked up by then. I will definitely fish the river. Also, are any of the feeder streams or upper lakes any good for fishing? I was looking at Willis Lake at the top end of Willis gulch. Is it worth the hike up, or is that an empty lake and stream? I can't seem to find anything on it at all online.

Check out the Eagle or Roaring Fork. A bit longer drive, but you are able to experience some of the finest scenery in Colorado.

[This message has been edited by PaulM (edited 16 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread