+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayaking in Salt water

Default Kayaking in Salt water

I'm heading to Cape Cod in June to do some striper fishing. I've decided this year to bring my Kayak down with me. I'm looking for advice, wondering if there is anything I should be aware of. I mostly use it in still and slow water where I am looking to get into places my canoe wont fit. The place we are staying is right on Scusset beach, on the bay side so hopefully the water will be calm enough for my first venture into the salt.

Default Re: Kayaking in Salt water

We'll be kayaking at the Cape in June also, although much futher out in the lower cape area.
    You shouldn't have any trouble in the bay as long as you pick your days
    The last couple of years there's been lots of bluefish in the bay
    Be prepared for a battle
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

when would be the best time of the day to get out in the 'yak?? I don't have an anchor for it, should I get one??

I can't answer your questions because I am not familiar with the area...but I would recommend searching Dave Micus' Saltwater articles.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...us/040504.html

Good Luck!

Time of day is not an issue for yakking. Its more tide related. Dawn is a wonderful time to kayak. The fish are usually active and the rest of the world is not there. I ususally kayak near the cape tip so I don't know the area you'll be at. Be careful and you should be okay. If you go further than a few hundred yards from shore bring the usual safety equipment plus an air horn, compass and/or GPS and a sea anchor which can be a 5 gal. pail on a string.

Watch the tides. You can target certain areas based on tides. The flow generally will not be so strong that you cannot paddle against it, but if you are not careful it can take y ou far out in a short period of time.

Watch the wind. Strong wind means larger waves. Open water means larger waves. You did not say how long your kayak was, but a longer kayak means more stability against waves.

jed

Watch the weather report for wind. Anything over 15 miles an hour is just too much. 10 miles an hour can be too much if you're paddling against that and current.

I personally would never be out in the kayak, no matter how far off shore or how well I could swim, without wearing safety equipment.

The most important thing is to be easily seen by power boats. Kayak color helps, orange or yellow, and bright paddles. i have an orange signal flag. Even so, there are foolish power boaters around. I personally think you should know how to re-enter your kayak if you are dumped for whatever reason.

If you're out at dark, a running light is required by law, and it would foolish to be out without one

Sounds like you are going to be mainly in backwaters, so as long as you are on the lee side of shores, wind should not be a major factor. I've been out in 20+ mph wind and if you are in open water you will get beat up and wet.

I usually wear my PFD in deep open water, but take it off in shallow water when I'm fishing. As mentioned before, the greatest danger in a kayak in saltwater is power boats. Never assume they see you and stay out of their way. In fact, I make it a practice to assume they are trying to hit me and act accordingly.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

No you don't need an anchor, and most likely there will be no need to travel too far from shore so an air horn and GPS would be very optional. And if you need a sea anchor it might not be the best day to be out 'yaking anyway. I would consider a whistle and compass mandatory though. Fog can roll in at anytime. Always wear your PFD
    Like BFB says a colorful 'yak, vest and "flashy" paddle blades go a long way to get you noticed by other boaters.
    Try some reflective tape on the paddle blades if you think it would help.
    Don't forget there's a shipping lane right off Scusset Beach. If you don't like the looks of the area go to some place like Barnstable Harbor, Plymouth Bay or some other more protected area... But most likely you'll be fine
    As Jed said early mornings might be best... an incoming tide also... But like my father always told me;
    "The best time to fish is when you can"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I'll second Dawn/ EARLY AM. The water and wind are usually the calmest and you wont have a hatch of 36' sport fisherman ( complete with drunk/ rude captains) to deal with for the most part. Check out newenglandkayakfishingdotcom as well. lots of localcape boys there that can give you some pointers. My advice, without getting to specific is to stay away from the surf and stay around the harbors, river/creekmouths etc and you should find fish. You can check in at fishing the cape in hyannis as well. They can put you onto the local bite.
    hth

+ Reply to Thread