+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Traditional Fly Rods

Blog Entries

Default Cabela's Traditional Fly Rods

I have been thinking about trying one of the Cabela's Traditional Fly Rods (4-piece version).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I have several rods that are very fast. Now I want to get another rod that has a slower, softer action.

If any of you have one or more of these rods, could you tell me a little about them? Do they have a soft, slow action? Do they feel good in the hand?

Thanks,
    Ed

Default Re: Cabela's Traditional Fly Rods

I bought the 8 ft., 4 wt., 4-piece for my wife. We got the oufit with the CSR reel. Very nice. Casts well, not heavy, well worth the cost, which isn't much to begin with. I'd buy another.

Two Weight

Bill (DeSavage) has a Cabela's Genesis 6 wt. He thinks it should have been marked as an 8wt. He finds it to be stiff!

At the 2006 Michigan Fish-In I was trying to learn to cast with it and JC tried it out, trying to help figure out why I was having trouble. He disliked it so much he gave me a Scientific American 5 wt as my own first rod. I couldn't believe the difference in ease of casting.

Of course the Scientific American doesn't come anywhere near casting as nice as the Reddington 5 wt I won in the drawing at the casting contest! Gloat, gloat :<)

I'm not really bragging, just a very happy camper that I won such a beautiful rod. I actually felt sort of guilty when I won it because JC had just given me the SA the day before. Oh well, we don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I took it as a sign that this is something I'm supposed to do, especially since Betty Hiner had also given me a pair of wading boots.

I'm now pretty much ready for this year's Michigan Fish-In. I don't have waders yet, I'm hoping to win this month's contest to get those. Jean
    Jean

Fly tying supplies make the best quilt embellishments!

Jean,

Did you just call JC a "horse"!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I have the 8' four piece four weight, bought it this spring, with the prestiege plus reel, bought it on the recomendation of local friends and people on this board. nice and easy to cast. I would buy another, in fact I think I need a 5 wt.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Yea, I own a Redington RS3 in a 4 weight. I absolutely love this rod. I have had many rods and for the price of only $200 I don't think anybody else comes close. I like it much better than even the lower end Sages that I have cast to compare it too. Just a great rod for the price. I can't tell you enough how well it loads, feels and catches FISH!

I own the 8'-6" 5wt 4-piece with the CSR reel, and it's a fine utility rod. Not too fast and not too slow, it makes for a nice middle-of-the-road action rod. I have only fished it twice because I like a faster action rod, but I'll hang on to it as a backup or if I need a rod for a friend in a pinch. If you don't like it, ship it back to them and get your money back. I went to the store and test cast the rod before I bought it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments. I am strongly leaning towards getting one of their rods from that line.

Maybe I'll get it before Fish-In. I think that I'll bring up a couple of different rods and let folks try them out to see if they like 'em. That makes for a nice, practical use of the Fish-In. Of course, getting together and meeting folks is the main thing that I am looking forward to.

Ed

Ed,

If you like, I will be bringing my 8'6" 5wt Traditional to the Fish-in, and you can try it out on stream before buying one. I'll be there from Sunday evening through Thursday, so just let me know. I'll be bringing several rods with me: Dan Craft 7'0" 2-piece1wt, Forecast 6'6" 4-piece 2wt, Forecast 9'-0" 7-piece 4wt (will cast a #2 Zoo Cougar 30'+), Cabelas Traditional 8'6" 4-piece 5wt, and Cabelas LST 9'-0" 4-piece 7wt. to name a few. There should be a plethora of combinations to try over the course of the week for anyone considering a new rod. With all the promoting of equipment during the week, we should contact the manufacturers to get some support and raffle goodies for the Fish-in. Just another idea for the organizers (like they need more ideas from non-producers like me. ).

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

nighthawk Guest

Ed,
    I bought a Cabela's Traditional 6'6", 2pc, 2wt as a combo with the Prestige Plus reel. I love it. If you like a medium-slow to medium-fast action you should like the Traditional rod. I don't really like fast action rods. Not that I am an expert at casting, the fast action rods just do not fit my comfort zone while casting. Same reason I like that Orvis Clear Water, mid-flex 6.0, 9', 8wt that Ohiotuber gave to me. Another slower action rod than most people fish.

The first rod I bought for myself was the SA combo special from Wal-Mart. For the price they just cannot be beat. They will outperform many more expensive rods.

I am never going to win any casting contests for distance because of me, not the rods I use. I am more concerned with presentation and accuracy. I suggest that you take Joe up on his offer and wait to buy until you have a chance to cast the rod. The Cabela's I went to allows you to cast the rod before buying.

+ Reply to Thread