+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite Fishing Hat?

Default What's Your Favorite Fishing Hat?

I know that Tilley makes great hats, but I'm interested in a mixed bag here. Is it Stetson, Resistol, Filson, Woolrich, Boonie or what. I've always fished with a baseball cap, but now I'm thinking I need something with more shade. I'm curious what everyone's favorite is and why.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Re: What's Your Favorite Fishing Hat?

You want me to choose?? If I do, my straw cowboy hat, I think it is a Resistol. If not that, which every ball cap I happen to grab that day. A lot depends on how windy it happens to be that day.
    Wyo-Blizzard

For those of you who dont know, I know what Byron means. I grew up in Cheyenne and in Wyoming you cant wear a wide brim. Itll end up in Nebraska I wear an oil cloth hat from New Zeland. Its kinda hot but Im too cheap to buy a Tilley

I'm fairly new to fly fishing, but not to fishing.

Since I was 10, I have always worn some kind of hat. For the past 10 years or so, I've worn either a "breezer" hat or a straw hat made from palm leaf.

The breezer comes with a chin strap (stampeed strap), they have a fairly wide brim, the mesh sides keep your head cool and they are inexpensive at between $20 and $40.

Don't waste your money on most straw hats because they turn to mush when they get wet. Palm leaf straw hats are the only way to go. They are nearly indestructable, are easy to reshape when they get wet, and depending on the style (everything from fedora to full cowboy) provide shade and keep your head cool. I really like these hats. They usually run about $25-40. There's a guy who sells them on Ebay and I've bought a couple from him (I have no connection other than have bought a few hats) http://stores.ebay.com/Cimarron-Sky

I just can't see wearing a nice Stetson on the water fishing. I have several Stetsons and Beaver Brand as well as a couple custom made beaver felt hats. The thought of seeing a 7X beaver hat floating down the stream is not a pleasant one at all.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

For a wide brimmed hat in summertime conditions, a NZ made Selke

http://www.selke.co.nz

Great hats, and many of my clients have gone on to buy them after inspecting mine. They hold well to the head in windy conditions too,a requirement on our norhtern southland, and mackenzie country waters

I wear a baseball style cap otherwise.

Chris

Blog Entries

Something that protects my ears from the sun and <ahem> the occaisonal mis-cast.

Ed

I have over 100 baseball caps. I have bout half dozen favorites...until Iget a new one. I've worn them all in the beginning then they go into semi-retirement.
    Take your pick.

Later, RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I am TOTALLY against, (for me that is) wearing a hat that has ANYTHING to do with fishing. I find it a bit hokey, don't ask me why; I just do. That being said I won't wear any hat with a logo from a manufacturer, fly shop, outfitter or a picture of a fly, lure, etc. As a matter of fact; I am about 99% logo free in my trout fishing attire. It is a conscious effort on my part.

I prefer a baseball cap because I have stuff on the bill like Hat Eyes, lights and flip down sunglasses. My present trout fishing cap is a adorned with the logo of my favorite baseball team. It is 6 years old and has about another 20 years left of wear. When it croaks; I'll get another one just like it.

I wear a different hat while warm-water fishing and it too has absolutely NOTHING to do with fishing.

For warm weather: A straw hat with enough brim to keep the sun off and keep me cool.

For cool/cold weather: A beanie, wool or synthetic

For windy weather or fishing small, canopy streams: A cap, by necessity only.

I have no brand loyalty or preference with hats.

I have a Filson Bush hat and a straw hat of about the same shape I wear one of those if I need the shade. Since I am boycotting major league baseball I have a KC T-Bones (northern league) and a KC Monarchs (negro league) baseball hats for those times when less shade is required.
    Quite often I wear no hat at all.

+ Reply to Thread