+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sheepshead, shad, and drum?

Default Sheepshead, shad, and drum?

I have recently moved to Ohio from Washington State. Great job, but the fishing is a lot different. We have a place on a lake with lots of freshwater "trash fish", especially sheepshead and shad (as well as bass). Any recommendations for flies to use on these fish?

Default Re: Sheepshead, shad, and drum?

I've never caught a freswater shad on a fly, but sheepshead (drum) will readily take a crawfish imitation.

RedHawk,

Welcome to the Buckeye State and to the forum. Best site on the net. In what part of the state are you located? I've never tangled with the sheepshead or shad, but love the bass, especially the smallmouth in the streams.

Take care,

Mike

We catch lots of drum on flies up here (southern Manitoba). They strike and fight hard and I think they're kinda pretty, in a homely sort of way! I've caught 'em on minnow immitations (especially clausers), leech patterns and nymph patterns. A good one for me is a #4 yellow leech tied with a marabou tail (and a few strands of yellow crystal flash), a yellow sparkle dub body, dubbed as fuzzy as I can get it and bead chain eyes (White is a good variation to have, too). My best luck has been fishing cross-current, drifting it into holding areas. The key is to fish along the bottom, especially if the water is turbid. They fight hard and we can get 'em 24" (5# +). I go out of my way to fish for them...TIM

Redhawk - best flies I've had success with (and now my goto flies for drum) are the Dark Montreal and Silver Rat. Another is an BH-Easter Egg Bugger ....

darrell,

Crayfish and small minnow patterns for the drum seem to do the trick. I've never actually targeted shad, but Ipick up the occasional Gizzard shad when fishing smallish nymphs and emergers for crappie and 'gills
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Default The poor drum gets no respect

Actually (sheepshead) fresh water drum not only put up a respectable fight but are good eating either fried or, my preference, steamed Chinese style.
    nam

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

A true [url=http://indian-river.fl.us/fishing/fish/porgshee.html:d6c12]Sheepshead.[/url:d6c12]
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

FL_SKIBUM--

Yeah, that's the one I'm used to calling a sheepshead too. This thread is the first time I've ever heard the name applied to freshwater drum. But there you go. Look at all the assorted critters we've applied the term "bass" to. Or the name "trout" for that matter.

Namekagon--

They aren't half bad baked also.They'll take whatever seasoning you throw on 'em and the texture holds up pretty well.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Up in our neck of the woods the common term is "silver bass"; the formal name is "freshwater drum" and occasionally I've seen them referred to as "sheepshead" as well. On the eating side, they are also good smoked....TIM

+ Reply to Thread