click for more pics: http://www.troutfanatics.com/node/181

[url=http://imageshack.us:e2510][/url:e2510]

The Frying Pan, a real favorite by Coloradans and fisherman alike continues to draw not only big hatches but outstanding fishing in the Spring time. When Combining a beautiful river, with good access and gold medal status this is the result. The Frying Pan River, or ?Pan? as locals call it, was named for a fryingpan left in a tree to mark the spot of a fallen comrade in a fight with Indians. This region hosts legends of mining and the frontiers of early Colorado, and current legends of growth, wealth and scenery.

I was treated this past weekend to a special birthday present, a gift by my girlfriend Laurel, that after all was said and done would be the perfect birthday weekend. We arrived Friday afternoon to find a hospitable cabin waiting for us full of trout memorabilia, a private pond, little stream running through the yard and a grill awaiting steaks to be placed on in a few hours. We also were given permission to fish a nice private section of water called Seven Castle Bend that provided a nice escape when the river got a bit to crowded during the day. If you want the cabin experience, definitely contact the Taylor Creek cabins.

How to fish the Frying Pan? The waters below the Ruedi dam are famous for being the big boys, giants, pigs, - whatever you want to call them! There are some BIG trout in here so be prepared to bring your mysis shrimp flies and most importantly be prepared for people. Fishermen stand within inches it seems of one another to luck out and land a huge fish. If you prefer to get away from that there are many access areas to fish downstream. You may want to find a spot and stay though seeing how it only takes a few minutes before others show up downstream to await your departure to grab your spot, than guess what you?re off to drive around and find another spot or two.

We awoke Saturday eager to get out on the water and catch some fish. After a quick look at the toiler bowl we met a nice gentleman from Broomfield that made the trek up for the day and the fish kept apparently him satisfied because every time we turned around he was hooking up on another brown in the toilet bowl. After a short period we were off to try our luck downstream towards the bridge hole and the action began immediately. We managed to catch some gorgeous brown trout that were fire red on the lower belly due to the mysis shrimp consumption. Laurel even managed a few trout on some #18/20 para adams/#18 dark bodied bwo dry fly?s and stopped for a photo op from time to time. Very fun and though our dogs were getting restless, and tired of us having all the fun, it was time to play a little and let my Lab Zeke, get his fill of the Frying Pan. We decided to fish a bit longer and than head back to check in on our buddy Stan from to see how his luck was going. He let me ease into his spot for awhile while he took a break from trout elbow. I managed to catch a few as well as Laurel getting her right of passage of the TB!

After getting broken off on a nice one the crowds reappeared to make their way in line for a bit and it was time to leave. We enjoyed a great dinner once again eating Salmon and fresh trout caught that were recently caught. We also sat back in some chairs at our cabin to the enjoyment of bright stars, the sound of our little stream a few feet away and thankfully, no crowds to ruin the moment.

I have been on a kick lately to fish in the nighttime when the big nocturnal trout show up from time to time and for the ever questionable, what lurks beneath that toilet bowl! Laurel still spoiling me once again ?allowed my trout addiction? to go and fish the toilet bowl at 10:30 that night. As much as I would like to tell you about a large trout that broke my rod or took me into my backing, or something to that affect, nothing agreed with my level 4 Teeney sinking line and various tandem streamer rigs I threw. Oh well, time to wait for daylight....

Come 6am I decided that I could sleep in on Monday so I awoke anxiously to hit the TB once again only to have the Pan jinx hit me again, 5 people at the TB at 6:15, you got to be kidding!!! So much for fishing here this morning.

On Our last day we decided to find a sweet pool to fish just up from a few bends from another private section. This public spot was about as good as it gets. From 10am till the 6pm thunderstorm we managed to have fish feeding non-stop all day right in front of us. We didn?t manage to keep track of ?if the boys were around I may have, but this was more of a relaxing day on the water than anything. Laurel got the 1st hookup while I was eyeing a large bow that snuck into my hole and the game was on. I had some luck and caught a decent size bow but wasn?t able to land him.

I did start to hook up pretty frequently for awhile and than Laurel hooked up on her biggest trout to date, a fat 18? rainbow and she was even able to land it without my annoying barking instructions as I was notified earlier about. I caught a few nice fish as well and was intent on catching a pretty good size bow that refused everything I threw at him for an hour ?. It took a double dry consisting of #22 BWO, #24 parachute Adams dropping a #20 hares ear. The hares ear was by far the best fly to use because after I caught that one it seemed every other casts or so feel victim to my hares ear. Laurel had a great day and after catching fish on both dry flies?s as well as double nymphs, she is now ready for anything!

Before the weekend could end I was allowed one last visit to the Bowl, mind you in was in the midst of a nasty thunderstorm but what the heck, one last try won?t hurt. We arrived back up top and no-one around?....perfect! I suited up my hurricane gear on and walked through knee high mud puddles to the bowl and try it again.

As I fished for 10 minutes the water release guy showed and said ?what are you doing, you?re crazy?, I guess I am but 10 more minutes he was back outside to watch me land this nice brownie and realized that I wasn?t too crazy!

Top flies of choice for the weekend: #18/20 Parachute adams, #18/20 various colored bwo dry flies, #18 rusty spinner, #20/22 olive WD40, #20 pheasant tail, #20 red rojo, #18 black thread midge, #18 bhpt