+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fly rod reconditioning

Default fly rod reconditioning

I have an antique bamboo fly rod that needs to be reconditioned. Does anyone have any suggestins who would do a good job.

Default Re: fly rod reconditioning

Just a suggestion....You might post this on the "Rod Building" bulletin board. You will get an answer real quick there. It will help if your profile is filled out, if it is not already, so that everyone can see where you are located.

Just trying to be helpful
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

weholt:

Make sure that whomever you consider has LOTS of refinishing experience. If it's at all possible; get some references and see if you can see an example of their work.

I only say this because I have seen a few rod makers that can't strip and refinish a rod for jack s%!+ I saw a couple of rods that were refinished by a somewhat well known builder at a fly shop recently and I was shocked at the so-so refinish job. His new rods look great though.

Some builders do great work on a clean finished blank or new parts but don't have the skill set for removing old varnish, reel seats or ferrules.

Just a bit of advice...

If you don't plan on fishing this "antique"; a little bit of cleaning up with soap & water; a THROUGH drying; some wax and polish may be all you need to do.

Good luck!

I would make sure the rod is worth the cost

+ Reply to Thread