+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Handed Rods

1. Default Two Handed Rods

Seems like there's a lot of buzz about using two handed rods for saltwater lately. Are these just Spey Rods? Or are they more in line with a Mini-Spey Rod? Does anyone have any reccomendations or info on these?

Default Re: Two Handed Rods

There is a difference between European Spey Rods and 2 handed rods. I believe the Eurpoean style is not as stiff as the 2 handed and is designed to be able to do more casats like the figure 8. The 2 handed is stiffer and designed to cast long distances against bigger winds. For Saltwater casting I think the 2 handed American style is what you would want.

I've seend demos with then and they do look like a great tool for shore casting when you need some distance. The only issue is bringing the catch in and it requires you to walk in and meet your fish more than you might have to with a short (9') rod.

jed

SWITCH RODS. They are becoming more and more popular. I want a 10' to 12' switch rod for a 4wt. The butt section is smaller, more an aid to get the line out with a long rod....Great fun and DISTANCE! Not to mention the advantages on smaller streams...mending, tight areas, etc.

Flygoddess is right, they're basically switch rods, which means they're built for spey, as well as, overhead casting. They've grown in popularity in the salt because they allow shore bound anglers to be able to cast over the surf. Loomis has 2 models in that category and CND has a series as well.
    The differences in the spey rods are: Scandanavian (Europeon), are the fast actions. They're generally a bit shorter and are meant for high line speeds. The Skagit style rods are medium fast, meant to cast heavy short tips and heavy flies, with a very short casting stroke. The Grease Line (Traditional), are medium action, are generally the longest of the three and are meant for dry fly, light wet fly.
    Hey Flygoddess, have you been able to find a 10-12' 4wt. switch? That would rock! I've been looking at the 11' 5wt. Z-Axis and a couple of the Beaulah rods.

I am working on it. I have been looking at Dan Craft, but a friend builds beautiful blanks, hardware, reel seats...the whole shabang and he loves experimenting.
    He has built a rod with the same tech as bamboo, but out of a different wood....waiting to hear on that one.

I do have a 10' 5wt with the full grip, but I want a 12 ' 4wt with maybe a 3" fighting butt.

Let me know how you make out. I'd be real interested in checking that out. A buddy of mine built me a 10' 5wt. switch and it's absolutely beautiful (Almost too pretty to fish with). I'm still experimenting with lines for it. So far, it seems to handle a 6wt. salmon/steelhead taper the best. Is that five you're using a TFO? I see they sell an 11' 5wt. spey that i'm interested in checking out. That one is just a tad cheaper than the Z-Axis. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pspaint
    Let me know how you make out. I'd be real interested in checking that out. A buddy of mine built me a 10' 5wt. switch and it's absolutely beautiful (Almost too pretty to fish with). I'm still experimenting with lines for it. So far, it seems to handle a 6wt. salmon/steelhead taper the best. Is that five you're using a TFO? I see they sell an 11' 5wt. spey that i'm interested in checking out. That one is just a tad cheaper than the Z-Axis. lol.

It is the TFO and it is a nice med to med / fast action. Still my go to rod for the rivers.

Oh ya, I will let you know on the switch for sure...!

Thank you dear!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    I am working on it. I have been looking at Dan Craft, but a friend builds beautiful blanks, hardware, reel seats...the whole shabang and he loves experimenting.
    He has built a rod with the same tech as bamboo, but out of a different wood....waiting to hear on that one.

I do have a 10' 5wt with the full grip, but I want a 12 ' 4wt with maybe a 3" fighting butt.
    Fly goddess, check out R.B. Meiser rods. Id say he is the best 2 handed rod maker in the country. http://www.meiserflyrods.com/

I just purchase a 12'6" 4/6 'Trouter' Spey. Its an amazing rod.

I dont know exactly what you are looking for, but I think you will have a tough time finding a 12' rod rated for a standard 4 line. This spey I am fishing takes a 5/6 spey line nicely but it wouldnt handle a regular 4 weight too well at all, itd be much too light.

+ Reply to Thread