+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stocked trout?

Default stocked trout?

i've been fishing in trough creek park in PA, where the majority of trout are stocked, and i have seen a couple of good hatche in the past weeks. but i have seen no rising trout, i am wondering if the is a product of the stocked trout? does it take them a while to ajust to stream life(eg. taking flies) or am i missing something?

Default Re: stocked trout?

From my expirience the trout stocked in Pennsyltucky ain't too bright. I mean they are fish - trout even but I guess no one ever told them what the real trout is supposed to do. For firat few days after stocking I mostly use streamers. Sometime I will tie a midge of very small nyph as a dropper. Most hits will come on the streamer. After few days I will start switching to more and more nymphs and even some dries.
    I gues it takes few days for the fish to switch from ground horse diet to the food real trout is supposed to eat...

And when it all fails then you can always join taboons of power bait fisherman...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I have always had the impression that only carryover hatchery trout start feeding and acting like native trout.
    Of course no one has ever told me EXACTLY how long it takes a hatchery trout to settle in.
    I think when hatchery trout are dumped in the river or reservoir, they are very vulnerable because they are disoriented and nervous. Birds catch them because the trout still relate to the surface, like at the hatchery ponds.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The best thing to catch hatchery trout on while still flyfishing is an egg fly. Some will look down their noses at you, but what the heck...
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

hey guys, thanks for the replies. i was out again and caught a 'bow and a brown on a PTN, so i guess what im gettin' at is if the trout are takin' nymphs shouldn't the also be taking drys?

No. The trout could be feeding only on nymphs or emergers. You can fish dry flies if you want though.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

No, huh? oh well , i guess ill keep hopin' for those sthat do surface. thanks for the insights, apreciate it

Fish a good floating dry fly with a dropper and see what happens.

i have always caught trout right out of the truck in planted lakes with streamers(i.e. woolly buggers, leeches etc.) and nymphs(ptn, hares ear,etc.) and even a couple with dries
    but i don't know if its is different for freshly stocked trout in streams
    well that was of no help

chris

The reason you catch more freshly stocked trout with wet/sinking flies is when the trout are fed at the hatchery they eat their pellets UNDER the surface. It takes time but eventually they will start eating bugs, but many stocked trout don't make it through one season.
    Doug

+ Reply to Thread