Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Quote of The Week

"Atheism has no room for tolerance."

That may be true, but that is also true of a lot of religions.

Where are we going with this?

Blog Entries

Dang, go on an overnight fishing trip and see what happens.

Dennis*

*oppressive and intolerant

I've followed this thread with great interest from nearly the moment of it's inception. Whether I agree or disagree with the quote in immaterial, also whether I think it was "published" in the appropriate place is not my place to say.

What has impressed me deeply, is that y'all could hold a very civil discussion, with deeply divided differences, at a plane above what one might expect from a group of generally opinionated folks. (That's not bad - to have opinions that one deeply believes in you know is very important I believe.)

Further, I'd be very happy to share a campfire with any and or all of the folks above on this thread (well, maybe I better think twice about sitting to close to Benjo who might get carried away and throw his soon to be not needed foot cast at me if I wasn't careful).

The basic purpose of most single line quotes, whether on your calendar, on the home page of a web site, or cross stitched in a frame above your front door, etc. is to make "food for thought". It's not necessary to agree or disagree with the quote, what is necessary (IMHO) is to think about what each person says and develop your own personal philosophy over time.

Finally, a bit of an elitist and snide remark seems to keep bubbling up in my mind so I'll just pitch it out there and take any resulting heat....I'll betcha a plug nickle that a thread of this sort wouldn't last 3 pages on a Bait Fishing web site without guns being oiled up and new invectives being invented. Whatcha think?

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

Actually I oil my gun everynight before I tuck it into bed next to me! Never know when the government will sneak into my house and try to steal my guns! What was the original message anyway, that someone was insulted by the quote? Can't wait to see next weeks quote, its going to be hard to top this one JC!

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

"Atheism has no room for tolerance" ??

Um. . . I live in a small town (it's fair sized by Oklahoma standards, but small for most other folks) in a fraternity house with over 100 Christian and 2 Muslim fraternity brothers, and almost all of them are very serious about their faith. If atheists aren't tolerant, I don't think I'd like living there as much as I do

tol?er?ance (tlr-ns)
    n.
    1. The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others.

2. Leeway for variation from a standard.

For my experience, if anything, I'd say atheists are the ultimate in tolerance.

[This message has been edited by OkieBass133 (edited 14 June 2005).]

JC,

You direct a response in an above post directly to me. However, I can't recall what I wrote because I cannot find my post. I find it difficult to fathom that anything I may have written was so out-of-line as to be deleted.

What's up?

Allan

The post was NOT directed at you Allan.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Ugggh, Okie Bass I hope you are not an Aggie from OSU! Definately a Sooner and Aggie could not get along on the same board (ha ha), by the way what fraternity do you belong to?
    BOOMER SOONER
    Drew

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

"God comprehends even the atheism of the atheist." Ghandi

"An atheist is a man who has no invisible means of support." John Buchan

"There is no God, but Mary is his mother." William James

"I was a freethinker before I knew how to think." George Bernard Shaw.

"The worst moment for an atheist is when he is grateful and doesn't know who to thank." Wendy Ward

10. Default

<<< ain't offended by that quote, or any others. Doesn't matter where you go in this world, people are the same! Some places may have a higher percentage of a$$*0les, some less...... but ya gotta remember, if you ain't one of the tolerant ones, chances are, you'll be placed with the a$$*0les!

Just my $0.02 worth.

Andy

Closed Thread