+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Vs. Wyoming

Default Colorado Vs. Wyoming

Last summer I went out to Rocky Mountain National Park, while at the park I caught my first trout. It was a 8-9" brown, so of course now I am hooked. I live in Minnesota, so I might get to go out west for a week this summer. I've been to Yellowstone many times, but I never fished while I was there.

Do you have any opinions about fishing in Colorado vs. Wyoming? I think I saw a total of two other fishermen while I was in the park. It seems like people talk about it being crowded in the Yellowstone area. Have any of you fished both states and noticed anything that would make you go back to one versus the other.

I'm just kind of curious.

Thanks

-Matt

Default Re: Colorado Vs. Wyoming

Matt,
    The only crowds I saw fishing were on the Yellowstone River in the Park. Dan Bailey's or Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone would be very helpful. I think the Madison, north of West Yellowstone and the Henry's Fork of the Snake, west of West Yellowstone are very special.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Orrisma,
    Your question is a bit like " strawberry or chocolate". Both Colorado AND Wyoming are super choices in which to ply your new found hobby. Because of that, both could and often are fished heavily. The way to avoid some of the "crowds" is to be willing to hike a bit. Most fishermen are "convenience" orientated. They park the car and walk maybe 100-200 yards. If you walk as little as 400 yds. you're ,in many cases, all alone. Just be careful . There are cautions to be considered associated with solitude.
    Other than all the above, welcome to the passion.

Mark

Don't forget to go after the lovely Greenbacks up there, they are the prettiest fish alive!

The only places in Yellowstone that are crowded are the famous rivers, and even those are uncrowded if you fish in the right spots and at the right time of day. We have a spot on Slough Creek where we take clients on day trips where we usually don't see anybody and catch fish to 22 inches, for example.

Even without a guide, the small streams are virtually always empty once you get 100 yards off the road or away from the campground. If you are in good enough shape to walk/scrample, you can catch all the 6-12 inch fish you want without having to detour around anybody else.

www.parksflyshop.com/planner.htm for more info.
    Owner, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Fly Designer, Montana Fly Company
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies and River Characters

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

And let's not focus on the two without including Montana as well.

There's an update on the Bighorn River on the main page...it's an awesome fishery, but only if you want to catch big, heathly, rod snapping 'bows and browns.

But if that's not your cup o' tea, then go south young man, go south to waters of Wyoming and Colorado, affectionately known as "The Home of the Quarter Pounder".

(And now I duck in preparation for the onslaught...)

Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmadsen
    And let's not focus on the two without including Montana as well.

There's an update on the Bighorn River on the main page...it's an awesome fishery, but only if you want to catch big, heathly, rod snapping 'bows and browns.

But if that's not your cup o' tea, then go south young man, go south to waters of Wyoming and Colorado, affectionately known as "The Home of the Quarter Pounder".

(And now I duck in preparation for the onslaught...)

You need to go to the South Platte (Dream Stream), and the Taylor. (Co) Don't show up with a 3wt.

You could spend a lifetime fishing the Yellowstone area and never fish the same place twice.
    For some reason I don't like Colorado. Oh its pretty allright. But places I've been lately are crowded with tourists.
    I like to fish the Tongue river in the Big Horns west of Sheridan WY. Its the kind of water I enjoy, small, crooked and brushy with the prettiest cutts on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    You could spend a lifetime fishing the Yellowstone area and never fish the same place twice.
    For some reason I don't like Colorado. Oh its pretty allright. But places I've been lately are crowded with tourists.
    I like to fish the Tongue river in the Big Horns west of Sheridan WY. Its the kind of water I enjoy, small, crooked and brushy with the prettiest cutts on earth.
    Colorado has 6000 miles of streams. There should be some solitude somewhere.

[/quote] Colorado has 6000 miles of streams. There should be some solitude somewhere. [/quote]

Its not the fishing in Colorado I dislike. I've fished all over the state from the Conejos to the Poudre to a nifty little crick John Channer took me to above Durango. Its everything else that goes with it. High priced lodgeing, tourist trap towns full of the "beautiful people", rediculous traffic in the urban centers. I25 along the front range has been bumper to bumper traffic from Pueblo to Cheyenne every time I've driven it. I have relatives in Denver. I've visited Co many times over the past 50 years. I remember Colorado when it was a different place.
    Its just not a destination for us any more.

+ Reply to Thread