+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Creek, Definition?

Default Spring Creek, Definition?

I have been a fly fisherman for some time now, approximately 12 years, and I still have a vague concept on the term Spring Creek. I made a search on google on define: spring creek and only one reasonable answer came back. This is it: a creek whos flow comes from underground springs. Spring creeks are usually small, clear, and challenging to fish. Source: outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage.

It is true that in my personal concept of a spring creek, it is hard to fish, but I still don't have a clear idea if it is a term that many people apply wrongly, because probably many so called spring creeks aren't spring fed, and would be a regular creek. Or does the term spring alude to the time of the year, and it can be an intermittent body of water?

Could anybody help me out with their opinions as what is the definition of a spring creek? Tight lines.

Hans Krarup
    Valdivia, Chile.
    Hans Krarup Swenson
    Valdivia, Chile.

Default Re: Spring Creek, Definition?

From what I understand they are more easy to fish. The temperatures are more consistent, because they aren't getting runoff. The amount of insect life is smaller, and easier to figure out too.

I think some people think a spring creek is any small stream that flows in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    From what I understand they are more easy to fish.
    ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    The amount of insect life is smaller, and easier to figure out too.
    ????????????????????????

Don't blame me. I read it in a book.

Methinks the term is self explanitory.

The water originates from a SPRING!
    The Metolious River in central OR is a spring creek. The water is so clear the trout can see you get out of your car.
    Quit reading that book Gramps!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Kind of ironic as we are planning a rainbow fishing trip in the near future to a stream that's actually named "Spring Creek"! This creek's name is indeed just what it implies ... there are little pockets of ice cold water springs coming right up out of the ground. I've seen the same thing along the banks of some rivers, too (real large creeks?); such as the Au Sable River in Michigan and the White River in Arkansas.

Dale

To my mind. A "Spring Creek" is a body of flowing water that has a source in the form of a spring bubbling out of the ground. That does not start up in the hills or mountains. It can however pop up in the middle of a field or on a valley floor miles away from any traditional High Level sources of rivers and streams.

Clarity of water and wariness of the fish are what make the challenge worth the trip. Have Fun. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

A spring creek, or spring fed creek is exactly as it sounds. A watercourse which issues from groundwater - a natural spring.
    Due to this, they are less affected by both seasonal and weather conditions, and thus maintain a stable flow, and temperature range year round. Due to this, large colonies of mayfly, caddis, snails etc form among the often dense weedbeds and gravelly streambeds providing the trout with an enormous food supply.

Trout feed selectivly when a particular food source is in super abundance

get my drift??

Just read Mike Lawsons excellent book 'spring creeks' and you'll know their inhabitants can often tougher than most!

Most of my local spring creeks here in southern nz have huge weed growth, which due to the stable flow, and subsequent lack of flood events, will often grow right the surface, creating many, many micro currents and surface disturbances, and thus, a drag free drift with the mandatory small dry is tough at the best of times.

Large trout, gin clear water, instant drag. Tough but interesting fishing.

The following are a few pics of a couple of my local spring creeks; fish of up to trophy status can sometimes be found in these, but finding them is only a smidgen of the challenge fine gravel beds often mean smaler invertibrete - size 18 is the norm here (smal by Kiwi standards).

Chris

+ Reply to Thread