+ Reply to Thread

Thread: nymph knowledge

Default nymph knowledge

hello all,
    this is my first time on the BB and was wondering if anyone has any advice on fishing nymphs, particularly strike indicators and whether i should use them or not.

Default Re: nymph knowledge

Strike indicators (from my notion) on a nymph wouldn't lead to decent drifting. Whereas the indicator wouldn't readily allow for the changes in depth.

HOWEVER, on an emerger, I could see a strike indicator as being helpful.

I don't use indicators as I like keeeing things a bit more favorable for the fish - keeps me on my toes too, makes me watch - which also helps to learn layout of the stream bed.

darrell,

Welcome to the best online fly fishing website you will ever find. I echo darrell's opinions and I'll add one of my own. No one, anywhere, at any time, under any circumstances, no matter what, even if they have a note from their doctor, should ever use strike indicators.

Now you might want to try this though. Tye an emerger to the eye of a stimulator. Attach the emerger to the stimulator (or other large dry fly of your choice) with about 8" of tippet. Are you ever going to be in for the thrill of a lifetime if you stick with this until 'it' happens. Good luck and no, this isn't indicator and nymph fly fishing, this is dry fly and emerger fly fishing.

You see, many years ago, though lore not forgotten, numbers of flies were used at once. Ridiculous numbers. I've heard of fly fishers of yesteryear employing as many as a dozen flies in their 'cast' as this was once referred to. Still is by those more mature among us. It wasn't so long ago that I used three flies myself.

Strike indicators are a relatively new invention and you'll hear muted cries of 'bobber' from the tradionalists. I refer you back to my opening lines, which having re-read them, I find them to be far less than muted. Bordering on objectionable. Allow me to clarify. The thing is, there are now deep legions of strike indicator 'users' out there on the waters. Oh and no stream is sacred, as 'strikes', as I've shortened 'strike indicators' to, are used far and wide, fabled water or no. It just seems to be the 'thing to do'. And it works, and I've done it, and I've done it a lot. I dang near wore out my shoulder 'doing it'. Then I quit and noticed, as darrell points out, that my deep nymph drifting improved, though at the expense of my hook up rate. This improved of course within a few weeks once I did some experimenting.

Oh, you bet, friends scoffed...'How can you get a drift?'.....was asked....'How the heck do you know if you get a take?' was a popular question. Well I didn't usually...in fact at first, mostly. It was nice to be able to go a-stream (is that a word?) each day and evening to find out why and I did. I secreted myself behind a tree next to a good pool and flicked a nymph upstream a few yards from good big trout that I could see. I am here to tell you and the world, that I witnessed what I thought was impossible...my nymph disappeared into a 'good big trout's' mouth and even though I was paying close attention, and even though I lifted my rod tip at what I felt was the perfect moment, there was no resistance, plus, my nymph imitation re-appeared.

Well, let me just say that I was amazed. How in the world could I ever hook trout while blind nymphing sans 'strikes' if I couldn't even hook one when I could see my fly disappear in the mouth of a big trout, have every opportunity to make a hook-set, only to see my nymph imitation re-appear?

Eventually of course, I could and have a-plenty. (Is that a word?) Once I learned a couple of secrets that is, which no way I can relate here, for the rivers and streams would soon be devoid of trout and prolly most other species that we fly fishers persue if the secrets got out. There is/will be a clue though before I close this late night, 'I'm not ready to sleep yet' composition that if someone were to ask me, 'What's the most important thing to remember when nymphing without a strike indicator MontanaMoose?' will be answered in the brief 'clue/statement'.

So remember, don't waste your money on 'strikes'. Buy big dry flies and little emergers instead and be watchful when you drift them back to you. Ok, I've said too much...many out there are grinning by now and they think they know the clues/secrets. So again, welcome to the board frugal angler, good to have you aboard.

Tight line,

MontanaMoose

"'What's the most important thing to remember when nymphing without a strike indicator MontanaMoose?' "

Yeah Moose, what is it?
    As often as i get to go fishing i shouldn't trouble too many fishies in the grand scheme of things.
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

thanks for the insight, montana , are there any large dry flys that you wiuld recommend? thanks in advance

Hello ducksterman, crook33. Now what's the fun in me just telling you what the most important thing to remember is while upstream shortline nymphing without strike indicators? Besides, we wouldn't want to cripple the strike indicator industry, would we?

I will give you a hint though. Somewhere in the text of my post, and it could be high or low, there is a two word phrase that tells it all. If anyone guesses, send pm, try to avoid posting it here and I will explain further, again, we want to keep this a secret for as long as possible. :))

frugal angler, in your area I'd say 'big' could start at size 12 flies so you could go with stimulators in yellow, tan, orange, red, green (bright to olive, even flo) also dry stones, golden and giant. You could use elk hair caddis in any color, or hoppers. Basically, any big bushy dry fly that your local shop has on hand. I prefer size 4 for the purpose we're talking about but I'm out west and I'm fly fishing steelhead water. The size of the emerger will vary but I keep them small and unweighted. Ok, hope some of this helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

thanks again, montana, yes this helps but i fish on smaller streams for small trout so i think a #12 should be large enough. again thanks for the insight

Great frugal angler, I was thinking 12's would be the ticket out east and I took a guess that you might be working smaller streams. Let me know how the 'dry fly and emerger' method works for you.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I knew this nympho once and golly.......................oh, nymph. Nevermind!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread