+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hawaii Freshwater Report

Default Hawaii Freshwater Report

The water level is dropping and starting to clear. I would guess a foot or two. Made it easier to see all those red devils and peacock bass.
    The red devil action started picking up in the afternoon. But all in all they were pretty spooky and not to interested in biting.

Peacock bass were still on the spawning beds. We caught a few of the ones just swimming around. Size ranged from 6 inches to just under 3 pounds. Some of those little ones were schooling and chasing shad. Clay called it a "Popcorn Bust".... (all little baby peacock bass and very scattered action.)

A nice relaxing day on the lake.
    Stan

[url=http://upload8.postimage.org/218073/photo_hosting.html:c6192][/url:c6192]

[url=http://upload8.postimage.org/218075/photo_hosting.html:c6192][/url:c6192]

Default Re: Hawaii Freshwater Report

Way to go, Stan . Got any Cichlids like Mayan Cichlids?

[url=http://www.floridafisheries.com/Fishes/non-native.html#mayan:c1621]Mayan Cichlid[/url:c1621]

We have some exotics down below Lake Okeechobee in Florida and I sometimes go down there to catch them. Oscars, Peacocks, Mayans, etc. I'm still looking for my first Peacock . I sometimes get an occasional Mayan on a river near here where I live above and to the west of Okeechobee. I don't get Mayans very often up this way because the weather and water tends to be too cold for those exotics. Last time I was at the river though I caught a good size Mayan on a Minnow Crease Fly. They fight harder than a Bluegill but not quite as hard as an Oscar. Actually a Mayan fights a lot like a Shellcracker (Redear Sunfish).
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

We get oscars every once in a while. They do fight hard. I bet fishing in south Florids would be loads of fun. I'm surprised you haven't taken a peacock. I know they are in Miami. All our "exotic" stuff in the lake was because someone dumped their aquairums.

We do have several chillids, but not that one. Peacock bass love them. They make great live bait.

Blog Entries

Stan

That looks like some fantastic action with those peacock bass. The red devils are also an exotic?
    I see also that you are a wise man and keep yourself screened well from the sun.

thanks for sharing

+ Reply to Thread