Hi,
Gold bead Hare & copper's are very popular here in NZ as well, and size 10 is used quite a bit here. I don't think I've ever seen anyone add a soft hackle collar to one, but I could see how that could be the magic that does the trick on some days. Good idea.

I think of a GRHE as being thin abdomen with ball thorax shaped, like a stick with an apple on the end. In contrast, the H&E is more rugby ball shaped (or American Football bal shaped). In the end, both are good fuzzy nymph patterns. The H&E is a good "learning to tie" pattern because neater is not better in this case. The more scruffy and "shapeless" it is, the more it seems to catch fish. The Copper wire ribbing adds both weight and strength, so it's also one that can take a pounding. Using a good Hare's mask for the dubbing material, one can find a range of colours to use from white, through blond, brown, to almost black. All colours worth using, just like with a GRHE.

Basically, this is a good nymph to have in the box if you're looking for something new to try. It's a great guide fly (quick and easy to tie, lots of strength, catches fish), and if your outside of New Zealand, it can be described as "exotic", which makes for good guide/client banter as well.

- Jeff