+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home waters. Do you know yours

Default Home waters. Do you know yours

Nice story.
    I for one can vouch for Chris' sincerity and what he carries. I've seen the inside of his truck and it is filled with one or more of everything. He is also one of the most conscious embassadors for his region and for fly fishing. I've seen him talk up visitors and point out where fish could be seen. Way to go.

Saturday I am doing something similar. I am taking a young woman and spending half a day with her to getr her started on fishing. We'll start with basic info, teach her some casting and end up with some fishing. My goal is to get her hooked on fly fishing. So far its only cost me about $70 to do this. Had to buy her some waders to use. I like having a spare pair around and I'll need them again for Memorial day when I have another person to hook. In between those days I have 3 classes where I help teach general fishing (bait, lure and just a touch of fly).

I've caught alot of fish in my time so another 12" trout or whatever is nice but not really as nice as seeing someone catch their first fish or their largest or first trout.

Last summer my nephew went out with me. He had gone with his mom and caught very little. I gave him some general pointers as to where to find fish and he actually caught one. When he came up and we went out together at the end of the day he said "I've caught more fish today than in my whole entire life". Now that made me feel good.

I do believe that what goes around comes around. To that end I've been fishing with Chris who gave me a day of guided fishing and all the food I could eat. With Josko several times on his boat, with Kirk_A on his boat and with others on foot.

I should also give thanks to Dave who is one of the old masters of the Millers River. We got to talking and he told me about 3 great spots on that river and how to fish them and when. Made me an instant expert on that stretch of water. He could have held back but did not. He is old now and can no longer wade. I hope to get him out in a drift boat one day and give him a chance to fish those waters again.

As Chris said, what about you?

jed

Default Re: Home waters. Do you know yours

that is a very nice story! you are a better person than most

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Awsome story, I think I fell into that catagory with my old home waters the russian river Ak I have given out many of flys instructions and have Guided people I have met while on the river. Its a great fealing to help someone enjoy your river and make their vacation, when you show them how and where to catch that fish of alifetime. I think most real fisherman do the same

Hi there,

I didn't know my home water very well. I always fished the same spot and i didn't know any other access points to the river. My local river, the 'Tumut' is used as a irrigation channel and is usually flowing very deep and fast and can be very dangerous to fish if you do not know how and where and are very cautious. At certain times of the year the irrigation flows are stopped and the Tumut becomes really a beautiful river to fish, safe and sedate and easily wadable with lovely riffles sweeping into deeper water in the rivers bend creating nice bubble trails (feeding lanes) but I still did not know how to access this river. Too cut a long story short I met a gentleman flyfisher on a similar flyfishing forum site but local to me (Australian) which regularly fished this river. We met at the river, same spot which I always fished and from there David and his son Andrew showed me all the different access points to the Tumut. We are good friends now and regularly fish the river together but if it wasn't for his generosity in sharing his knowledge and time I would still be trying to fish that one spot or given up on my fly fishing. By the way, it was with David spending time with me that I caught my first rainbow and I have been hooked ever since

Cheers

Jed !
    So far its only cost me about $70 to do this. Had to buy her some waders to use.
    Well young man, ... You're well on your way to having the truck filled to the brim with "extra stuff". ... Just remember to leave a corner somewhere in it for Joan

Gig, ... Actually, ... I really don't know my home waters too well. I only fish on about 2/3 of the +100 miles of runs, pools and rapids. There are MANY pools that I've NEVER fished .. or even visited (I love this sport).

New challenge ... It's official, ... I've been transfered into the St-Maurice region. Oh No!, ... Rainbows, browns, ... match the hatch, ... I guess I'll have to start actually looking at those bugs 'n stuff!
    Christopher Chin

I give out flies, way to many of em.

+ Reply to Thread