+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What reel?

Default What reel?

I recently purchased a lightly used Winston Tom Morgan Favorite, 4 wt. I'll be using it for sunfish/"perch" and Guadalupe and Guadalupe/Smallmouth hybrid Bass, although I hope within the next year I'll have the opportunity to try it for Western trout.
    I've not been flyfishing very long and I am generally ignorant about various rods and reels. May I inquire what you more experienced folks would recommend for a reel to fit on this rod? I'm more interested in reliability and durability (e.g., the drag) and low maintenance, etc., than I am in how pretty it is or what the brand name is. What do you think about the relative merits of Orvis' Battenkill Bar Stock and Battenkill Large Arbor, Pleuger Trion, Loomis Venture, Ross Cimarron LA, Sage 1800, and how about the various Cabela's reels? Or would you recommend looking at something else?

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,
    G.G.H.

Default Re: What reel?

The Battenkill Bar Stock is a great reel for the price. Very reliable. As a matter of fact that's what I had on that rod. Get the smallest one. The II model and it will balance perfect.

How do you like the rod?

Blog Entries

I have a Trion and love it. Rumor has it that it is made at the same factory as the Orvis mid-arbor along with several others that look unusually similar.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Gramps,
    It's a beautiful rod. I'm glad I could buy it. Now I just need to get a reel for it so I can try it out for real!

Glad you like it. Trust me on the reel. I usually buy more expensive reels than the Battenkill. I was impressed with how well it was made. Smooth, simple and lighter than reels costing 4 times as much. You'll get many years of service from it.

I don't know what your budget is but...

...while it isn't on your list; I use a Ross Evolution 1.5 on my TMF.
    • * Diameter - 3.125"

* Width - .90"

* Weight - 3.8 oz

* Capacity - DT4 + 75 yds (I like a DT4 on my TMF)

I find it a perfect match with that great Ross drag & customer service. I don't know if you want to spend that much $$$ though.

I would also consider the same size in the Ross Rhythm which is almost identical except it weighs in at 4.3 oz. It is also $75 bucks less!

The Tom Morgan Favorite is a fantastic rod; you'll love it no matter what reel you choose.

Enjoy!

I agree. if you don't mind spending the money, the Ross can't be beat. I just never considered the reel that important for trout. You don't need a fancy drag. I use old click and pawl reels which is almost like no drag at all. Putting the money in the rod and waders is more important on my budget.

I was going to use a silk line on that rod. I don't recommend that for you. Too much maintenance. A good line for that rod is a Rio Selective Trout. If you get the WF version it will come with a loop on the leader end. Handy for attaching the leader.

i picked up a galvan standard 3.0 for a 9' 4wt. excellent reel. just a little heavier than the battenkill barstock. smoooth drag. it will cost you about $200. the barstock, for half the price is also a great reel. have one i use on a shortie 4 wt.

TMF/LRH/XPS for me. I like three letter acronyms! Stands for:

TMF: Winston Tom Morgan Favorite, 8' 4wt (mine's a two piece, older model)
    LRH: Hardy Lightweight reel
    XPS: Scientific Anglers double taper 4 weight line

My absolute favorite dry fly rod. My family has instructions that I am to be buried with this combo - hopefully not any time soon............Ed

Ross Rhythm is an excellent choice as well. It is a bit cheaper than the Evolution and has the exact same drag mechanism. I think it weighs one tenth of an oz. more than the evolution, but sometimes a little more weight balances a rod nicely. Maintenance free, never needs lubrication, and if it ever gets wacky then it gets fixed for free...and fast. I'd go Ross. JMO

+ Reply to Thread