+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Betsie, Pere Marquette, Manistee, and AuSable Trip Info Need

Default Betsie, Pere Marquette, Manistee, and AuSable Trip Info Need

Does anyone here know anything (firsthand) about the Betsie River in Michigan? I've been invited up there to fish the salmon run in October.

Default Re: Betsie River Info? (Michigan)

SM

I don't particullarly like the Betsie River but many do. Challenge Chapter of TU has assembled many river guides for Michigan Rivers and I believe they have on for the Betsie. I recommend you get one - they are better than first class.

There are many nice places to fish salmon although I primarily fish for steelhead. Most of my comments are towards steelhead but probably apply to King Salmon too.

Before exiting to Lake Michigan at Frankfort, the Betsie flows into Betsie Lake. There is a RR trestle and numerous places around the lake to fish that are best fished with spinning gear and bobber with spawn sacks. Repulsive I know but I lost the largest steelhead I have ever seen right at the net in the Betsie River entry into Betsie lake on a spawn sack. Had to be over 20 # but you know how those fish get bigger as you tell the tale. It is a hard to find spot off Grace Road.

The Betsie winds through the Betsie State Game Refuge up to a dam which has a fish ladder. There is access there too. Further up a lot of the land is private and access is more limited. Fish this far up will likely be on redds and become quite lithargic. I call them snags that move.

Like I said though - get the guide from Challenge Chapter. Then go fish the Little Manistee or the PM. They are much nicer rivers IMHO.

Bobinmich

Bob,

Do you know what kind of a drive it is from Betsonia to the PM or Manistee? I've been looking into that. I think we'll be there for about a week. So I will have time to do some exploring. I'll check into the TU guides.

P.S. They don't have one listed for the Betsie.

SM,
    It's around 70 miles to Baldwin. If you are going to be there for a week you should plan to fish all those rivers. Look on my website www.hatofmichigan.org for e-book - You Can't Make a Living Tying Flies. Lots of stuff and places on the PM holy water and Old Grade Campground at the Little Manistee. I hope you enjoy your trip. Let me know when you are in that area - I may be too. That's grouse and timberdoodle hunting time of year too. Bring your shotgun.

Bobinmich

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich
    SM,
    It's around 70 miles to Baldwin. If you are going to be there for a week you should plan to fish all those rivers. Look on my website http://www.hatofmichigan.org for e-book - You Can't Make a Living Tying Flies. Lots of stuff and places on the PM holy water and Old Grade Campground at the Little Manistee. I hope you enjoy your trip. Let me know when you are in that area - I may be too. That's grouse and timberdoodle hunting time of year too. Bring your shotgun.

Bobinmich
    Ooooooooooooooooooh! Grouse hunting season! I had not thought about that.

OK. I'm expanding this to include the Pere Marquette, AuSable, and Manistee Rivers. And I will be toting shotguns for bird hunting as well.

+ Reply to Thread