+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experience

lkjh:

Just a suggestion, I used to put sheet metal screws in the bottom of my felt to act as cleats. Make sure you use the short screws.

If you are unstable definately use a wading staff. If nothing else, constantly trying to fight for your balance will kill your back by the end of the day.

John

All have given you great advice so far...

Do you have a good pair of polarized glasses? I know that sounds a bit far from your feet, but they can really be a help when trying to see where to put your next step.

Hope this helps.

God bless,
    Steve R.

As there are many times I like solitude, I often wear a Type II Preserver (the large orange kind, you can get at Discount stores for around $10.) I don't look too fashionable but you really get used to wearing the thing...

I made the mistake last year of wading in a stream when there was a huge release from a dam, now I always check the cfs...

all the best, learner

It's also a good idea to wear polarized sunglasses when you are wading so that you can better see into the water and see what you are about to step on. Also once you learn your local waters better you'll find where you can wade safely and comfortably.

ikjh, as with others, if I knew what general area you reside in I could maybe help you find a better stream to start with.

And FFAr....the size of screws to use are 3/8". That's the size Simms supplies with their boots. I bought mine at Home Depot, for about 1/3 the price (maybe the quality leaves something to be desired) so when they wear out, I can buy two more sets and still break even.

Again, one doesnt' have to give an address in the profile but it would be nice if they at least gave the State or Region.

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

I learned to wade and trout fish at the same time on the LMF river, it has been proclaimed as the slickest river in the US. Please do use a staff and cleats along with your felt soles, at first don't wade over you knee caps, never step on a rock larger than your foot and if you feel yourself slipping try to sit down in the water. Just like casting a fly rod wading is a skill, keep at it.

Mike B

+ Reply to Thread