+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forecast F904-7

Default Forecast F904-7

Just finished up this Forecast 9'-0" 4wt 7-piece travel rod for my trip to Orlando on Thursday. I'm also taking my Forecast 6'6" 2wt 4-piece since both are able to be carried on the plane in their short tubes. I'll be fishing ponds for gills.

Here's the before and after shots of the Gudebrod Candy Apple Red thread w/o Color Preserver. I really like this color in the sunlight on this blank.

Here's the signature panel

and the custom rod bag with Velcro closure.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default Re: Forecast F904-7

"before and after shots of the Gudebrod Candy Apple Red thread w/o Color Preserver. "

nice touch ........ I love that ........ will have to remember (likely not)

but - 7pcs - I'd loose at least one of them.

Nice looking rod Joe, but then I'm sort of partial to your rod making!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Very nice work.

Maybe you can help me with a problem I am having. I want to use the metalic accent thread like you did without using color preserver on the main thread, but I can't fugure out how to hide the tag ends of the metalic thread. If they are under the main color thread they will show through. How did you do it?

You may want to bring a larger rod like a 6wt to 8wt if you have one. Anywhere there are bream, there are bass and Orlando has some great bass water. I think a larger weight would be more useful than the 2wt.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfly
    Very nice work.

Maybe you can help me with a problem I am having. I want to use the metalic accent thread like you did without using color preserver on the main thread, but I can't fugure out how to hide the tag ends of the metalic thread. If they are under the main color thread they will show through. How did you do it?

You may want to bring a larger rod like a 6wt to 8wt if you have one. Anywhere there are bream, there are bass and Orlando has some great bass water. I think a larger weight would be more useful than the 2wt.
    I don't know any technique for hiding the tag ends of the metallic silver thread, aside from maybe using super glue. ( http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=13063 ) On this rod the tag is put in 8 wraps before the accent starts, I trim the tag close with scissors, then pull the end under one or two wraps. This is somewhat tricky depending on how much tension is on your main thread. If it's too tight, then it's hard to pull under, or you'll pull so hard that you pull the metallic through and have to backup and start again. Too loose and the opposite comes into play. This is a trial and error process until you figure just the right tension on your main thread.Regardless, the tags still show under the thread if you don't use CP. I pay close attention to finish the metallic at the same point that I started it at, so both tags are inline with each other. Here's what it looks like close up:

Counting wraps is a must for consistency, and I write down my sequence starting with the largest ferrule. You want 2 to 2-1/2 times the ferrule diameter for the length of your ferrule wrap as a minimum, but you can make it longer if you choose. Some people wrap the entire depth of engagement. This sequence was as follows: 22 wraps main thread and tie in the metallic. Overwrap the metallic 8 wraps, trim metallis and pull under. Four complete wraps with main and metallic threads, finsishing at start point and locking in metallic. Overwrap tag end of metallic for 8 wraps and cutoff metallic with razor blade. Finish wrap 16 wrap and tie in your pull loop. Finish wrap 6 wraps to end and terminate as usual. Adjust the wraps as needed based on the rod you're building. Write this down and use the same sequence if you are doing a rod with more than one female ferrule, and each ferrule wrap will come out the same length, regardless of its diameter. The length is based on the thread diameter, not the rod diameter.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, because the average person doesn't have a clue that the tags are even there. Until I started building rods, I did not know what sort of QC items to look for on production rod, and that holds true for MOST people who fish with a fly rod. Only glaring mistakes and defects are usually seen.

I think I might trade off the 2wt for my Cabelas 7wt 4-piece LST for the bass. Thanks for the heads-up. I forget that southern bass get bigger than northern bass.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe, real nice work the rod bag gives a nice touch to the custom rod.I have been trying to find that material at my local walmart.
    Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by iflysw
    Joe, real nice work the rod bag gives a nice touch to the custom rod.I have been trying to find that material at my local walmart.
    The name and mill are listed in this post: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/v...t=17154&hilit=

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Nice Rod. Love the rod sock. DAMN why did I gave away my sewing machine. Nice work!!! Have fun with it.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread