Depending on the depth and flow of the river, the kayak can be a helpful transport from location to location though I normally don't fish in it in moving water but prefer to wade. I find it far better craft for fishing on saltwater flats for covering more shallow water, being able to stealthily come up on feeding/tailing fish, avoiding stingrays and fishing productive areas (like around oyster beds) that motorboats avoid. I also like it for lakes greater than 5 acres in size with shallow sections or clear water (again because of stealth).

They are also highly easy to maintain and tough. The bottom of my kayak looks like I gouged it with monster potato peelers thanks to years of rocks, concrete boat ramps and oyster shell it 's gone over but I've only worn out the keel once and repaired it with some melted plastic. No need to gas it up, change the oil, pay storage fees or remember to charge a battery the day before taking it out. I just throw it in the back of the truck and go. I do rinse it off after fishing in saltwater but not that much when fishing in freshwater.

I'll continue fishing from my kayak as long as possible. I'll be going paddling with my nine year old son on Saturday morning. He got hooked on paddling last summer when I rented a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 for him to learn on one weekend. Soon I'll be taking him with me on trips.