+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof carriers for two kayaks

Default Roof carriers for two kayaks

My wife and I are in the market for SOT kayaks. Hers for paddling around the local lagoons, and mine primarily to fish said lagoons. The one we'll get for her is about 9', just the basic recreational. I'm leaning REAL hard to the Pelican Castaway, about 11.5 foot long. I drive a Subaru Impreza...has the rails, but no racks yet.

The local Yakima dealer says that the car MIGHT handle both kayaks, but has no way to tell for certain. Says we'd need to own the boats and try to fit them. Well, I don't want to buy the boats until I know I have a way to get them from here to there. I'm fairly sure that the local Yakima guy just doesn't know much.

Does anyone happen to know if I'll be able to get two kayaks onto my car? Is Yakima the way to go, or is Thule any better? Thoughts?

Hoping to join the paddling crew real soon. As in yesterday. Yeah, I've got the jones for kayaks real bad. Can't ya tell?

-Padron-

Default Re: Roof carriers for two kayaks

How much weight can your car's roof top handle? Some (most? all?) owners manual should state the maximum weight you can tote around up there. Compare that with the combined weight of the two kayaks.

Next thing to check is whether or not your rack dealer can set you up with bars wider than the roof top. Yakima should have that readily available. You'll likely need the extra width if you mount both kayaks laying flat.

You might be able to get by with standing your kayaks up on edge using one of the vertical or near-vertical rack mounts. Just make sure to include the weight of that setup when comparing against what your car's roof is rated for...

www.kayakfishingstuff.com

Check the boards here...These guys know yaks and everything associated with them...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

They are both very good roof racks;

- I have one of each.

-On my small car I have a yakima, and on the van there is a thule.

- There is a u shaped bar that goes in the middle of cross bars, the yaks sit on the side, and are strapped in, somewhat like toast in a toaster.

- My two old town yaks fit very comfortably with this system, but if I were to put them upside down ( without the u bar ), I would not be able to fit both of them on my van, or smaller car.

- Another option is the cradles; they look like the giant letter c, they hold the yaks at 45 degrees. If I had the choice between the u-bar, and the cradles, I would choose the cradles; easier to strap the yaks in, but I did not know that when I was buying.

- A small tip not to forget!!!
    When transporting, strap in the front,and back, then one strap for the middle.

- They make great quick relase straps for yaks, and canoes now, you should really look into them, they are easy to instal, and hold you craft much better then the standard yellow poly rope.

- Enjoy your yaks!!!

chris

If I were to get standard crossbars for the existing roof rails, they handle almost 150 pounds. The Castaway kayak is about 60 pounds, and the little one is about 32 or so, so the weight is not the problem. It's just a matter of being sure they'll fit. I never considered getting crossbars to go past the width of the car. Maybe I should call Yakima directly about this. The "C" style that loads the yaks on edge sounds like a good idea. I'll keep the stapping ideas in mind that the poster shared.

Thanks for the replies.

-Padron-

I have an outback, and use the Yakima rollers and cradles for one boat, and Malone J-bars for a second one.

I can't fit two boats side by side with 2 yakima/thule cradles... so I had to go to the J-bar.

Is the cradle type carrier made by Thule?
    Thanks!
    GGH

Yes, I think they have a model.

Go visit there web site.

take care,
    chris

Well, I got two kayaks and a roof rack system, so all is well. So what did I get?

I decided to go with the Yakima crossbars, LowRider towers and the HullRaiser cradle system. I have the Hullraisers in the center, with the two boats facing outwards. I find it to be a very simple system to work with. No tools to install. I didn't buy the locks to keep the bars on the car, but I will, as taking them off and putting back on takes a bit of time.

My wife and I bought two used yaks from friends of ours. Not exactly ideal for fishing, but I can modify one enough for this year and save up towards an Ocean Kayak or something like that, rather than the Pelican Castaway.

We took the yaks out on local water this Memorial Day and had a great time. Looking forward to getting out to fish in mine. Right now, trying to learn how to paddle without pulling to port all the time. No rudders on the little yak, so I'll have to work on my stroke skills.

Yakima customer service via email was great to work with. I tried them by phone, buy not so good. I purchased the system online from RackAttack, one of their sponsors. Good price and GREAT delivery time.

See ya on the water!

-Padron-

Pardon,

Glad to hear you got something worked out. My comment about the weight limit wasn't meant to worry about the bars themselves...it was a caution about how much weight the roof of your car can handle. Odds are, you're OK (given the weights you posted for the yaks plus a guess at the bar weights) but it's always good to be certain the load up there doesn't cause vehicle problems...

Enjoy your new toys!

+ Reply to Thread