+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wairoa (NZ)

Default Wairoa (NZ)

Hi,
    On the weekend I made it out to the Wairoa for a few hours. The water has been low lately, and the last few times I was out it has been very muddy. This is common for the Wairoa, unfortunately, but it is still a stream I really enjoy. Here's one stretch that I like to give a try to when I'm out there:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... gPool2.jpg

I call it the SwimmingPool because often I have to skip fishing it because kids are having a swim there.

I landed 4 small rainbows, in the 8-10 inch range, and hooked up on 2 more in the same size. Here a shot of the first one:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... inbow2.jpg

Three of the ones landed took the middle dropper of my team of 3, which was Sylvester Nemes "Red and Black Dun", (sz14; body 1/2 red 1/2 black dubbing, rib: flat silver tinsel, hackle: dun partridge, though I used a black starling hackle). The other one took a winged black gnat wet fly that I tie with Possum tail fur. (also sz14). I've generally found that black flies work well on the Wairoa, probably because of how discoloured the water tends to be. Even when it's at it's clearest, it tends more towards tea than gin, if you follow me.

Anyway, as I was putting away my gear, I spotted this flying ant on the door of my car:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... ngeAnt.jpg

The colours don't show as well as I hoped, but it was decidedly orange, with black stripes like a tiger over the abdomen, and light greyish wings. I was thinking this would be easy to immitate iwth an orange floss, black rib, dun hackled fly (similar to one of the variations of Pritt's Water Cricket). I didn't see any of these near the water, but the red and black combo of the soft hackle fly that took the majority of the fish that day may have been taken for one of these flying ants?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default Re: Wairoa (NZ)

Cool, thanks Jeff. You guys seem to do real well on the flying ants over there, I never had any luck in Oz on them. Thanks for the post, I'm over South Island again in Nov, just makes it seem a long way off reading your trip!
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Hi Gringo,

I'm not sure the fish were feeding on these ants, but the combination of black and red on the fly that was the most interesting to the fish, and the reddish orange with black stripes on the ant made me wonder. Anyway, I've been finding North Country style spiders work a treat in the North Island, so if you can, tie a few up for your trip to the South Island. Just be very careful about Didymo when you're over. It's sad to see what's happening to some of the rivers down south.

- Jeff

OK I will do. Spiders too eh? Mmm... Do you tie them for dry or wet?

My past two trips I fished in Didymo water, and it is one thing we don't want here. I am careful about it and I am pleased to say that the Oz gov is now taking it seriously and treating all gear etc at our entry points.

Do you have it in the North? I must come and fish the Mataura one day.... Were getting some cheap air fares right now...
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Hi Gringo,

Spiders are just a "style" of wet fly, a wee wet without wings. The most simple form is just a thread or floss body and a soft hackle, like these:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... piders.jpg
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... ndBlue.jpg

They probably represent a nymph or drowned adult, but oddly are not thought to represent an actual spider! Flies, go figure?

Anyway, so far we've not had any didymo in the north island (knock wood). I've heard reports that they think this particular strain may have a mutation that makes it even worse than usual. You definately do not want it in OZ. Entire rivers look like they've been filled with toilet paper, just devistating. There is some thought that a copper based substance may kill it without destroying everything else in the rivers. Some tests were tried a while back, but haven't heard anything more. Even if that works, it would be to "control it" and they don't think it would totally remove it from a river.

Donald Nicolson from Scotland has a great site that has a lot of information about this kind of fly. He posts on FAOL quite a bit and there's a link to his site as his signature.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread