Where? The Mitta river is in the foothills of the Australian alps in the state of Victoria. It is a tailwater fishery, and as Australia is currently in the grip of a savage drought - it is one of the few trout waters fishing well.

The river has just been dropped back to a normal level after being at minor flood level all summer to keep south-eastern Australian irrigators supplied with water.

Since the levels have been dropped, and the water temperature increased, there has been an explosion in insect life, particularly mayflies. We have a large mayfly here called the Kosciusko Dun. They have been so large, that a good imitation would be tied on a size 6 hook! There have also been masses of orange spinners and caddis hatching - so naturally the trout have come on the bite.

Plenty of good brown trout to 6 lb and some nice rainbows are starting to show as well.

Anyone coming to Aussie - get in touch and I will do my best to update the fishing situation for you, wherever you are headed.

p.s. This is the best bulletin board I have ever seen. Everyone is polite, and good information is exchanged unselfishly. Well Done!!!