+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cauterizing Tool for Making Eye Holes

Default Cauterizing Tool for Making Eye Holes

I am really lousy at using a scissors to cut holes in deer hair for eyes. I would like to purchase a battery operated cauterizing tool. Any suggestions on models and where to get them.

Thanks.

Rick

Default Re: Cauterizing Tool for Making Eye Holes

Rick,

I got mine from www.feather-craft.com

Item 1896
    Cost $24.95
    Description: "Power-Zap" Burning Tool
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks Warren. Looks like just what I need.

Rick

One suggestion ... I'd also think of purchasing an extra tip for it when you buy the burner. It gets real frustrating when you are in the middle of a project ... and drop the tool, point down, on the floor. It'll only take a week to get a new one, but it'll be a really loooong week!! not that I would know from personal experience!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,

Good point, so to speak. I will make sure to order a spare.

Rick

the kauffmans streamborn catalog has them but they do not come with or have the option of extra tips for $19.95

If you know someone who works in an Emergency Room you can probably get all you want for free. They are used one time and thrown away there so it shouldn't be a big deal to get a few.

when I worked at a hospital, I picked up a few of them.

You can even use a hacksaw blade and cut around the body of the disposable, insert a new battery, secure with tape and now it is no longer disposable.

Good Luck,

Another method, and a bit cheaper is to buy some nails with various size heads. Hold the nail with a pair of pliers and heat the head with a lighter. When it starts getting red, press against the deer hair where you want the eye to be. This creates a fairly round depression to put the eye in. If you use doll eyes, use a narrower nail to make the hole, and make it a bit deeper.

There is another option.

It's not cheaper, but it has other applications and is perfect for those of us who are 'tool junkies' when it comes to fly tying.

The folks who make custom jewelry use a heated wand for carving wax prior to starting the casting process.

Itis connected by a long wire to a control box that lets you select how hot it gets. You can buy different shaped 'tips' for it, but for the majority of the chores you'd want it for, the 1/16 diameter rod that actually heats up is about perfect.

I use if for burning the holes in deer hair for eyes and for bending materials (mono, biots, etc., for legs and such). All those things that the recipes say to use a 'heated bodkin' for. No open flames around the bench, easy, adjustable heat.

You can get them from any place that sells fine jewelry making supplies. The whole set up runs around $50. If you know a jeweler that has an old one around, you may be able to get it for less (or even free).

Just another option.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread