+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Boxes...

Default Fly Boxes...

What is your favorite fly box? I don't really have a favorite now but soon I will have a shiny new C&F. Who do you think makes the best box hands down for say trout flies and such...

------------------
    "Never Say Die"

I make a pretty handy one out of Altoids tins and foam. They work for me, and I can't beat the price.

I personally love the Rosecreek Anglers flyboxes. They make 4 or 5 types in plastic and also aluminum. I have both types. Great product!!

Sold at Hook & Hackle now too (in the 2005 catalog) -a FAOL sponsor ..

Rich

I'd have to say right now my favorite is the medium sized (6" or so) black Okuma with flat foam on one side and 16 windows on the other. This is followed closely by my CF Design "threader box".

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 16 February 2005).]

I know they are way, way overpriced, but I'm still a big fan of Richard Wheatley fly boxes. There is just nothing out there, in my opinion, that is as pretty as nicely tied Catskill dry flies in a Wheatley compartment box.

Of course they are heavy and expensive and there are probably much more practical boxes out there, but I still love my Wheatley's.

------------------
    All along this path I tread, my heart betrays my weary head
    With nothing but my love to save, from the cradle to the grave
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

C&F. Period.

-John

I had an all foam box that I dropped in the water and soaked all my flies. I switched to C&F waterproofs. They are great, especially if you have someone buy them for you as presents!

My favorite fly box, is one that is full of flies, that I can use to go fishing.

~ Parnelli

"Live - Laugh - Love!"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 14 February 2005).]

I like my two plastic two-sided Planos for warmwater flies. Small compartments on one side and a foam side on the other. The second one is the same but has large slot compartments on the other side rather than the foam.

I have four fly boxes for trout, one is a Scientific Anglers with two foam sides, one is a small Plano with a single foam side, one is a small Skykomish Flies with two foam sides, and one is a zippered fly wallet with sheepskin pads (unused due to its cosmetic value). I don't really have a favorite trout fly box. All are very serviceable for me. The only one I don't like is the metal fly boxes with the internal spring loaded lids because the one I had corroded badly (maybe the new metal ones have solved the corrosion problem). Guess that's why all my fly boxes are now plastic except the unused wallet one.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I?ll vote for the C&F Waterproof boxes. Especially when used in saltwater. In regular boxes your flies will eventually rust from the salt air. Also they float. Last Spring while in Belize and making a fast run in a flats boat, one of my boxes flew out of the boat. We turned around and after about ten minutes of searching, spotted the bright green box floating in the surf. Figure I saved about $60.00 or more in flies.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread