+ Reply to Thread

Thread: why no 3-piece rods

Default why no 3-piece rods

Does anyone know why they don't make 3-piece fly rod blanks anymore?

Default Re: why no 3-piece rods

They exist ... what are you looking for? Weights, lengths, composition, etc.?

Blog Entries

Here is my theory based on generalizations I've come up with myself. You may or may not agree.

I think that current flyfishing community falls into the 2 piece crowd, and the multi-piece crowd.
    The multi-piecers tend to want the rod to break down as small as practical for storage/transport. As technology has improved, multi-piece rods can be produced with better and better actions, so it seems 3 and 4 piece blanks are becoming 4, 5, and 7 piece blanks.
    The 2-piecers don't want a bunch of ferrules in their rods because of its impact (real or imagined) in the action and 2 piece rods are also a bit less expensive than the multi-piece equivalent.
    3 piece rods don't really serve either camp well and I would suspect that they aren't produced because demand is very low. If you are interested in more than 2, why not go with 4? Or 5, 6 or 7? I have a 3 piece that I love, but I would really like to be able to subassemble into 2 halves sometimes, but you just can't do it conveniently with 3. I'd like it much better as a 4 piece rod.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Interesting point ol'blue...I frequently just carry my 4 pieces as two...but 3 throws a little wench in that....

What I wonder about is....if there is anything to the oscillations of odd numbered sections giving a better action...why don't we see more odd #'ed ones.

I believe as things get more sophisticated enough people go for function so why do companies avoid?????

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue
    ...I would really like to be able to subassemble into 2 halves sometimes, but you just can't do it conveniently with 3.
    And that is a very good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Interesting point ol'blue...I frequently just carry my 4 pieces as two...but 3 throws a little wench in that....

What I wonder about is....if there is anything to the oscillations of odd numbered sections giving a better action...why don't we see more odd #'ed ones.

I believe as things get more sophisticated enough people go for function so why do companies avoid?????
    I never hear voices but I always feel these oscillations. Can you make them stop?

There are a lot of 3 piece casting and spinning travel rods out there. One 7 footer I have fits nicely in a suitcase as it should. But 8-9 ft 3 piece fly rods wouldn't fit. So, being neither fish nor fowl, the 3 piece fly rod in the most popular lengths is not in high demand.

I do believe that 3 pieces was the most popular configuration for 8 to 9 ft bamboo rods in the good old days though I do not know why.
    Bear742

I have 3-4 3pc rods/blanks, but they were bought 3 yrs ago. Keep your eye open, I bet they pop up on ebay from time to time. I doubt that every brand made them. Two of mine are St. Croix.

I am a fan of 3 piece 8' rods, which narrows the market even more.

I think 3 pieces is a good compromise between overly bulky 2 pieces and overly ferruled 4 pieces, which adds weight to the equation. Just my opinion.

I found a nice selection at Hook & Hackle, great prices. China made?, yes, some. but also Loomis IMX.

Bill

I think ol' blue hit the nail on the head, but I was chuckling to myself... the link has been posted here before. Remember watching Bill Dance? Man turns a two piece rod into a four piece rod in the blink of an eye!

Mike McFarland has three piece blanks in graphite and glass. His tapers are incrediable.

+ Reply to Thread