+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leader

Default Leader

I plan on fishing for stripers with my 9' 9wt. rod. Since I have never done that before, I would like to know just what my leader set-up (lengths and test) should be. I will be fishing on flats and sight fishing.

Default Re: Leader

Stripers aren't leader shy. I usually use a straight shot of six feet of 30lb hard mono with two or three dropper flies off that.

Use a leader that you are comfortable with turning over and swimming flies. Thicker and stiffer the easier to turn over flies and control on a drift, the slower the flies will sink also. Finer thinner leaders are harder to turn over and sink more quickly.

I don't like flouro at all it sinks to quickly and have had breakoff issues
    Your hooks sharp????

Like Nick, I often use a short piece of straight mono for a leader, but stripers on the flats require a bit more.
    A three section leader of 50% butt, 25% mid and 25% tippet will do.
    I like my leader to be the same length as the rod, but many flats fishermen will use a clear line and go to a 12' leader to be sure

I'll be fishing the Cape starting 6/10, wave if you see me. I'll be the one in the rubber pants and funny hat.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

You may want to use tapered leaders, but you don't need them.
    Your hooks sharp????

I use a IGFA 12 # tapered leader with a 20 # shock tippet for snook and reds. Don't use superstrong on the beach though - sand doesn't seem to like it much. Use a fixed loop on the fly (on the cover of Budworth's Knots book). I use purple EP's most of the time. Many other methods work well. This is just what my guide taught me.
    Bobinmich

Want to thank all for the advice and I will be on the cape fishing the flats from Chatham June 20-24. Maybe I will run into some of you.

For general NE striper fishing, ( includding some flats fishing on the Cape), I usueally run 45-48" or so of Berkley Big Game 20# mono tied into 30-36" of 12-14# Florocarbon. It's simple, tough, stiff enough to turn over most flies ( or pairs). Since i'm using spinning line, it's cheap too.

The following is from Lefty himself:

To build a good inshore leader of approximately 10 feet for an 8- to 12-weight rod, I suggest using a 5-foot butt section of50-pound test. Add a 2-foot section of 40-pound test, then about 18inches of 30-pound test followed by a short length of 25- or20-pound test. So long as the butt section measures one-half theleader's length, it won't matter if the other sectionsare off by a few inches. The tippet should not run more than 18 or20 inches. Longer tippets tend to develop wind knots more easilyduring casting.

The best monofilament to use is premium spinning line, and it isimportant that all sections of the leader be constructed from thesame brand. I recommend blood knots to connect the various lengths,although a surgeon's knot is OK in lines testing 20 pounds orless.

Its also fun to learn how to tie droppers into the leader. You can do a google for Ken Abrames droppers.

It always amazes me how much information is shared on a simple subject like this. The help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I hope to put it to good use!

I have never worried to much about leaders when striper fishing. I end up with 12 or 16 lb tippet. Sometimes I use a 9' leader and other times just a 4' piece of tippet. As much as I'd like to pontificate on the best solution I must admit that I haven't found the leader size to be an issue. If you want to play it safe get a 16 or 20 lb 9' leader and add smaller tippet as you think is appropriate. For schoolies, 12 lb is more than sufficient. For the big hogs, I hope you have 40lb straight tippet and it gets broken off... by the 3rd fish.

jed

+ Reply to Thread