+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: due dates

Blog Entries

Default Re: due dates

Isn't it cool that we have so many new swapmeisters? I remember not too long ago when there just wasn't that many going on, and we had folks complaining that they couldn't get signed up before swaps filled. I'm glad to see all the new participants, and seeing swap signups taking longer to fill than just a few hours.
    I did a quick check, and FAOL has approximately 24 swaps that have had posts within the last week. What a phenominal number! And considering that the majority of the swappers are prompt and pay attention to the details, that speaks volumes about the quality of our swapping community here.
    I'm not really trying to change the subject; I'm just making sure no one thinks I'm complaining about anyone in particular. The bottom line is that this is the best (IMO) swapping area around. I would challenge anyone to find a more active and freindly swapping environment anywhere.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I don't care about being critisized about being early. I will always try to be early.

I too have seen folks post that swaps fill up to fast for them to get into. This does happen some times. But if they look at the board right now there are at least 5 swaps thay have been up for a while that are not full yet.

Signing up early is just like getting your flies in early. It makes it easier for the Swapmeister to conduct the swap. It makes it better for the Swappers in that they get there flies back on time and some of the times they will get them back early.

I have been in swaps with just about everyone that has posted on this and I have to say you are all great swappers and Swapmeisters. It is a pleasure to be in a swap with any of you. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Bassman said:

"The most important thing I consider in being in a swap is have fun, be patient and communicate, ask for help when you need it.

"Here are some helpful things to consider when joining or hosting a swap.

"These are suggestions(emphasis mine), that will help Swapmeisters and tiers to have a pleasureable swap and a good time."

I appreciate your frustration with latecomers. I just recently pushed a swap close to the deadline mailing 8-9 days before the due date. Mea culpa! On the other hand, in that particular swap, the swappers are cutting some slack for the meister while he finishes up a paper due before the swap deadline. I am glad to say none of the swappers seems to be having a problem with that delay. The sword cuts both ways, it seems. Anyway I can wait for the other 11 flies. I have 100s more that I can use.

One thing I appreciate even less than waiting, however, is having a suggestion get promoted to a rule after I sign up for something. At least twice, including the quotation above, bassman makes it clear that he is making suggestions about swaps. That, IMHO, is the way to do it. It leave the swapmeister free cut slack or not. But that also leaves it incumbent on the swapmeister to lay down his rules ahead of time. In the USA we have an Consittutional prohibition of ex post facto laws. Bassman points out that the key is communication-before, during, and after. So let the masters communicate their expectations up front, and let the swappers commit with their eyes wide open as to what is expected and what the consequences are if one fails.

In short, there is a big difference between 10 Commandments and 10 Sugggestions. The rules always have to be tough in the Major Leagues; in Little League we always cut some slack. Dead seriousness has its place, but I am in this for "a pleasureable swap and a good time." I have enough strict rules at work that I do not need to take on more in my hobby. Nor do I want to.

Have fun, right?
    Bear742

Im not the one to talk here... I myself have fell into the late flies a few times.. I had to drop a coulpe swap...
    and in one case flies never showed up...

lost in the mail?
    I wrote the wrong addy? Dont know!!

As most of you my have noticed I have stopped doing swaps..

Mostly to let some of the new guys jump in there..

so for all the New swappers... HAVE FUN ... these guys are great..

Leonard

I still keep a watch on the swaps, Although I have to admit....To being one who has pretty much stopped swaping...Join one now and again on rare occasion though...Such as Ol'blues curret assist to a fellow flinger's plight....Those are sitting on my desk beside me and are going out tommorow btw... Mixed bag of the gotta hav'ems...Gotta say I can see why a few swaper's have gotten a bit taken aback as to weather they want to keep in the game...Due dates are due dates...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Search this site on the word "swap." The first hit will be Swaps And Meistering by Rich Z. (Richard Zieger) Rich does an excellent job of lining up what has to be done both by swappers and by meisters to make a successful swap. The idea of setting up a group for e-Mailing is just one of several excellent ideas. It serves to notify everyone how the swap is going and it reminds the immobile to get moving. Rish has a good practical outlook on the level of performance to expect and how to meister a good swap.

"Tardiness" is a result of the inputs into the process. If it was a sport and your team came in a day late and a dollar short, some folks would just cry in their beer about it. Others, like sports analysts and the teams front office, would be all over it critiquing players and management and doping out what to do next season. Swappers are the players; meisters are the management. Rich has done an excellent job of analysis. You owe it to yourself to read the whole article if you want to understand the nature of swaps better. You mayl also learn something more about human nature.
    Bear742

Well I tried searching for the post but I came up empty no matter what I tried. How about posting a link?

Blog Entries

Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread