+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: due dates

Default due dates

I have hosted swaps on another site and I have participated in many swaps here on FAOL. As the swap host I stick to the due date and if flies are received after the due date they go back to the tier. There is no sense having a due date if I extend it waiting for late flies. Swap hosts give us ample time to tie and I do not join if I do not plan to have them in ahead of the due date. I consider the "flies must arrive no later than..." to be a business agreement. Once I had to ask out of a swap because I was so ill for a long while. I felt bad about that but there was nothing to be done about it. I expect there are other valid reasons, but for most of us most of the time the due date is there for a reason.

Default Re: due dates

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

Blog Entries

There always seems to be someone who doesn't make it. Sometimes with good reasons, sometimes not. I am one of those willing to cut some slack on the dates, but I am going to become more strict from here on out. Last swap I had only 1 late (the best performance I've had for a while), 2 with no toe tags, and 2 without return postage. The instructions aren't that complicated, and I'm going to be returning more flies to senders in the future. In all fairness, I will be very specific in the future in the signups as well in regards to following instructions. It might scare away some swappers, but hopefully it will make things a bit more reliable and fair for the majority of tyers who are prompt with their submissions.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

I for one....always try to be early. In the swaps I've hosted on other sites there always seems to be someone who is late...sometimes for good reason....I try as long as they communicate with me to accommodate. I understand things come up and maybe a better solution when things come is communicate not only with the host but the members of the swap...As I've said I always try to be early just because you never know what might come up...it might be better to drop out than to be overly late.....just my 2 cents
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

I too usually always tried to be early with my swaps I have joined and have always encoraged swappers to get flys in early in my swaps. It makes things go alot smoother for the swapmiester, and being late while it may not look like too big of deal can really delay a swap going out if there are a few flies short in a swap. Also Swapmiesters may have set due dates for a reason around thier personal lives. Swaps take alot of ones time if things don't run smoothly. THings like questions about swaps (while I have no problem helping the newbee) that have been stated in the swap instructions or can be answered by your local postoffice take time, organizing flys takes time, sorting flys takes time, addressing envelopes that have not been properly addressed takes more time.

These things coupled with delays recieving flies from swapers can contribute significatly to delaying a swap going out. Things happen thats a part of life, and delays do happen for good reasons at times.

I have always been willing to wait for the late arrivals but now myself have been put in the position that I will no longer let a swap go past due for the straglers. I have had a very confusing, disorganized month trying to wrangle 4 swaps to a close, due to late arrivals and a busy work schedual beeing more than expected.

It's been a great winter of swaps for me and I definatly will be in for more in the fall, and I definatly have some things I will be changing with my swaps, and still have some good ones planned for the fall.

-Hillard

I don't join swaps unless I can get the flies tied within two weeks.
    That is what works for me.
    As for the return labels, I always include one of my own so the swapmeister does not have to do that.
    The rest of may rant about swapping is inthe panfish archives.

Rick

I conduct and enter a fair number of swaps. I have even given my suggestions for what they are worth on how to be a swap host and how to be a swap participant. When I enter a swap or conduct a swap. I try to have my flies tied and ready in a couple of days. But not everyone does this. In my opinion if you join a swap it is a commitment and a promise that you will follow the instructions given for the swap. We all know things can happen in live that will come before swaps. But these things should not stop you from communicating. If something happens to delay you communicate with the swap host or the swappers so every one knows what is going on. Also do not enter a swap unless you know you can finish and get your flies in in the allotted time. There was once a swapper that critisized me for being early getting my flies in on a swap. All I can say is he did not have to wait on my flies to get in for the swap to be completed. Swaps should be fun and informative. Just my 2 cents. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    There was once a swapper that critisized me for being early getting my flies in on a swap.
    You've gotta be kidding. That takes a lot of nerve.

John, you're always the guy who signs up first, and has flies submitted on time and according to instructions. If everone were as prompt, you'd see world record swap turnarounds.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I have hosted a few swaps myself and agree with all said above. When you join a swap you are making a commitment to the swapmaster and all participants that you will have your flies on time. If someone will communicate with me I will hold off past the due date awhile to get all the flies in the swap. I quit joining or hosting swaps due to the fact it is spring and I live on a small farm and can not uphold my commitments on the swaps. return labels are a must also. One thing I learned the hard way was when swapping make sure you have enough postage to make it back. I was in a swap which bassman was hosting and when I got the envelope back there was a stamp on the envelope that said I was 4 cents short on postage which bassman had paid for me. I alway now tell them to put the next higest postage on the envelopes for the returns.
    Swaps should be fun and exciting. As many as I have been in I still get excited when they are due to be returned. My hat is off to all the swap masters who work very hard to make the swap happen. Behind the scene the swap master is checking and updating the post dailey. Storing the flies as they come in and making sure they are all there. Updating the swappers. Then when the big day comes sorting and repacking flies for all the swapers. Then it is oof to the post office to mail them all.
    I have been in swaps with all the swap masters here and they are the cream of the crop and when I get back to joining swaps again I will be looking for their swaps first.

Blog Entries

John I was in that swap.....what difference does it make if you're early? as long as you aren't late....that is the key.

Again, communication with host and swappers is the key if things arise.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

+ Reply to Thread