+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bead sizes

Default bead sizes

anybody have any or know a site that has bead to hook conversion charts. i'd like to put one in my bead box so i don't hve to mess around and possibly get the wrong size bead stuck on a hook. i know you'll need what brand hooks, but i use anything so any chart is good

thanks
    WWFF

Default Re: bead sizes

those are great but if you want a little card then just use the ones that come in the bead baggies.

Warm water,

Here's another chart that may be helpful

http://www.killroys.com/charts/beads.htm

peregrines

From my personal experience I would suggest you make up your own chart for the specific hooks you use and the source of your beads. The charts cited above contain some special considerations. One limits itself to premium hooks with tiny barbs. Another references only hooks by size number, not by make or model. And the third flies in the face of reality unless you completely flatten the barb on the specific hook listed. I agree, it is very frustrating.

Why worry about it at all?

You'll NEVER find an accurate 'chart' as there are too many variables in both the hooks available AND the beads that are out there.

I know it goes against the whole 'there HAS to be a 'correct' bead for every hook' thinking, but I'd prefer to 'choose' which bead I put on a hook.

But why can't you just pick the bead size you WANT to use, then see if it fits your hook?

If not, then go to the next size and see if THAT one fits.

You only have to do this once for a particular hook. Then you'd 'know' and there would be no guesswork.

You might be surprised to see that several sizes/brands/materials/styles of bead will fit every hook size/style. Besides, you may be someone who prefers to mash down barbs, and THAT makes more beads 'fit' for you than those that don't. Also, some hooks 'flex' more readily, and that can make a bead go on where a 'stiffer' hook wire won't. I find that I can usually get most reasonable sized beads onto a hook as long as I'm willing to debarb and flex the bend a bit.

This just doesn't need to be that hard. It's just fly tying.

What if we thought which particular HOOK you used on a pattern actually mattered????

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

When I tie flies with bead heads I use several different sizes to get different sink rates.
    I also tie with different hook styles as some of them are heavier.
    I never let the label tell me which hook to put the bead on.

Rick

thanks for the info all. Does anybody have a source where they buy beads cheap, or an assortment of beads? I'm not talking about tungsten, i know there more expensive. i'm just looking to get a buinch of beads for a decent price.

Try H&H...I replenished a new fly tying desk with beads...also with dumb bell eyes....am quite pleased.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    thanks for the info all. Does anybody have a source where they buy beads cheap, or an assortment of beads? I'm not talking about tungsten, i know there more expensive. i'm just looking to get a buinch of beads for a decent price.
    ebay and GOOGLE are good sources!

+ Reply to Thread