+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L2L reconnect leaders

Default Re: L2L reconnect leaders

http://www.streamsideflyfishing.com/l2lrelesy.html

or Google " L2L Reconnect " for more links
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

as much trouble i have with knots i will get some of these and give em a try. i wish there saw some simple knotless way to join backing to line,

ive not tried them and dont think i will for a little while.
    im 14 and my eyes are great and to me......knots are fun.
    i'll be my stubborn self and stick to a nail knot and loop to loop system.
    my opinion for now.

if u can do that fly and tie great cause i cant do that

I guess I'll be the first to post a gripe about them and the gripe is probably really more user error than product defect.

I used em once and that was enough for me. I found them VERY difficult to use for the following reasons:

1. The hole in the connector that attached to the line was too small for my line. I had a heck of time trying to push my fly line through the hole and ended up using a knife point to widen the hole a little bit...

2. Once I had the overhand tied in the fly line, after finally getting the line through, it was too big to fit snugly inside the tapered connector and made the connector bulge to the point that it wouldn't hold the orange leader connector in well...

3. I really wanted to use it because I wasn't in the mood for tying a blood knot with a stick (that's all there is stream-side ya know) so I ended up super-gluing the leader connector into the green one, thus eliminating the biggest advantage of the connector system.

I was using a Cortland (don't remember the exact line-model) WF7WT line and they may have been the problem. Are they meant only for smaller weight lines or am I just stupid
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    i thought they may come apart if i got snagged and really gave it a yank but i was wrong. I wonder how they are for bigger fish?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    I've caught up to a 3 lb bass with them with no problems and lots of very large bluegill. I've snapped the leader off on snags without the connector thinking of coming loose...........uh..............many times
    SA posts the test strength of these on their website. I believe, don't quote me because I may be off, that they are tested at around 10-12 pound breaking strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild One
    was using a Cortland (don't remember the exact line-model) WF7WT line and they may have been the problem. Are they meant only for smaller weight lines or am I just stupid
    I think they may be made for specific line weights. Therefore if you had bought one for say a 5 wt. line it may not work for a 7 wt. line.

Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Hi Wild One,

On the Cabelas website they mention that the leaders come in tippet sizes from 3X to 6X (mine are all 5X tippets for my 4-5-6 trout rods) but there's no mention of line size.

My six weight WF Cortland 555 line threaded through like it was custom-made, so you may have a point when you say that they're only designed for lighter-weight lines. If they were any bigger than mine, they'd probably not get through the tiny end tippet on some rods.

It's unusual that SA doesn't mention that little detail anywhere. On their website at one spot they call it a Trout / Panfish leader and mention that it comes in tippet sizes from 2X to 5X.

That trout/panfish reference makes me believe that the L2L leaders are for trout/panfish lines in the 3 to 6 weight range. It's awfully sloppy of them (this is a big company with deep resources) not to be specific about the line-weight limitations.

Ron

hey fishin' fool where u at in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie_D
    Hi Wild One,

On the Cabelas website they mention that the leaders come in tippet sizes from 3X to 6X (mine are all 5X tippets for my 4-5-6 trout rods) but there's no mention of line size.

My six weight WF Cortland 555 line threaded through like it was custom-made, so you may have a point when you say that they're only designed for lighter-weight lines. If they were any bigger than mine, they'd probably not get through the tiny end tippet on some rods.

It's unusual that SA doesn't mention that little detail anywhere. On their website at one spot they call it a Trout / Panfish leader and mention that it comes in tippet sizes from 2X to 5X.

That trout/panfish reference makes me believe that the L2L leaders are for trout/panfish lines in the 3 to 6 weight range. It's awfully sloppy of them (this is a big company with deep resources) not to be specific about the line-weight limitations.

Ron
    Yep, that is exactly what I found and what my thoughts were. You probably have it right on with the connectors being meant only for 3-6 wts. that makes me feel a little better.
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread