+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a question on making furled leaders

Default a question on making furled leaders

i've been reading as many posts as i can find, and primarily working from this site http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...ed_leader.aspx and this one http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/henk1.htm. my problem, which should probably be obvious, is that i don't know where to connect the paper clip at the bottom of the two pieces. i make everything loop around the dowels properly, then at the end i go one loop around the last two dowels, interlocking with the previous loop, and then one loop around just the last dowel...is that right? then i tie an overhand loop and hook it to a weight. so what i have is a loop around the final two dowels, a loop around the final dowel only, and a loop i've tied that is hooked to a weight. now, when i put a paper clip in to hook to the drill, does that go through the loop around the final dowel? or in the loop i've tied that has a weight in it? if i use the weight loop and start slipping the leader off the pegs it all falls apart, so i assume that either that is wrong, or i've done something wrong in the setup. if i put in in the loop around the final dowel then when i spin it i think it is going right, but the "tag" end with the weight just twists around my drill...what am i supposed to do with that? so basically, i think i'm setting the loops correctly on the jig, but i don't know how to take them off. i would LOVE to see a picture of the final peg, and the paper clip going through whatever part of the leader it goes through immediately after cutting off the spool and before putting it in the drill. thanks in advance, and links to what i should have found but haven't will work too.

cameron

Normand Guest

Default Re: a question on making furled leaders

will these photos and instructions help??

http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/how- ... leader.pdf

so, in the method that uses two separate strands that are then twisted together, do you make a loop on the final peg and an overhand loop, then put the loop from the peg and the overhand loop on the paper clip?

Quote Originally Posted by tar heel
    so, in the method that uses two separate strands that are then twisted together, do you make a loop on the final peg and an overhand loop, then put the loop from the peg and the overhand loop on the paper clip?

You should be forming a big "V". The paper clip goes on after you have completed the wraps. Put the paper clip one the bend of the "V" right next to the peg, but away from the "V", then put a clamp on the peg and begin to twist each side. When done twisting both sides (same direction on both sides) remove clamp and add weight to the paper clip.
    Personally, I would break down and buy Kathy Scott's Video....it really don't get no easier than that.

Yep, Kathy's video...

The Jim William's link....that guy knows more about furling than most of us...and a guy named Lif...

Suggestion...I hate to be so dense but if you could refer to the pegs in some sort of "standard" fashion it would be easier [for me at least] to follow the questions....having said that there are varying terminalogies...but if you refer to the "butt" pegs and the "tippet" peg it might help with answers....then there's the fact that some use hooks at the butt end....it goes on and on.

tar heel,

I would suggest that you purchase Kathy's DVD and view it. It is one of the best DVD's and makes it so easy to understand the process.

Like you, I read everything on the internet on furled leader making and all I accomplished was to get more confused! I ordered Kathy's DVD and after viewing it, I made my first furled leader within 30 minutes!

If you ask for opinions from others you will get many different answers because there are just too many different ways out there and everyone is tweaking everyone's elses process! I just use Kathy's instructions and refuse to change anything since her furled leader works just fine for me. The only change I made was to increase the distance between pegs so that my furled leaders are 7 foot long instead of her 5 1/2 foot leaders.

Just my .02 cents worth.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Right On Warren. It is so hard to try to put into writing what you need to do, but Kathy's video puts it all in place. Plus after you get the basics, those web sites make a lot more sense. I use Kathy's main lay out, but by going to the sites I have come up with new formulas for longer and more tapered leaders that I just added to the main board I made from Kathy's instruction. I use different colored magic markers and color inside the peg holes so I know where the peg goes for different leaders. Like Orange, there are two holes on one side and one on the other plus end and butt. Just put the pegs in all the orange holes and I have the set-up for the 7', blue for 9' and so on. Multi tasking board....wahoo.

Plus more wrap formulas, still pretty happy about the formula I came up with for this Gentlemen:

RonS81 Guest

Here's another link I found useful.

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/187

+ Reply to Thread