I remember the first fish that I cought with a fly rod and fly. I remember everything perfectly. But my favorite fly fishing momment came a few years back when I took my son who was about 12 yrs to one of my favorite trout spots. Its one of the state run trout parks in Missouri and were were setup just below the first handicap access wing dike above the dam. My son was about 10 yards from the dike and I another 5. We were fishing #16 mosquitoes(The most common insect found on all fresh waters) about dusk. There weren't too many people on the stream and Matt was trying to do his best and enjoy a conversion, when Matt said.

"Dad, my fly is gone."

"Lift up your rod son, you got a fish?"

YEAH!!! What do I do?

Well, he backed into shallower water and landed his fish and both he and I could not have been more proud. After things calmed down and Matt got back to fishing with new enthusiasm. A couple well seasoned fly fishers on the other side of the dike started talking to Matt,

"Was that your first fish on a fly rod?"

"Yes"

"How big was it?"

"Not real big, about 12 inches."

"No, no, no son that just won't do. Your father obviously forgot to teach you how the lie about the fish that you catch."

The two old guys caught up with Matt after the whistle and taught him the correct way to... lie about fishing.

That is my favorite momment.

Greg