+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt water reel preferences

Default Salt water reel preferences

I need advice from the salt Captains out there on salty reels for say 8-10 wt. one hand rods, 9wt. being the rod I have now. It would be nice if the recommendations were for popular reels priced at say $300 or under and that are easy to buy parts/get service for and I suppose that have really good warranties.

I've looked around the net at a few and I'm not finding enough specific info so I thought I'd just go here and ask those that use them most to find out what's the best way to go/best bang for the buck. Target fish would be everything on the east coast that are typically fly fished for while wading or not far offshore in smaller vessels like PWC.

I'm interested in reels that stand up to salt the best and this may give smiles and I hope it does, but is there a salt water specific fly reel out there that doesn't require washing off after each trip or am I dreaming?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default Re: Salt water reel preferences

Hi Moose: your not dreaming and yes such a reel does exsist. Water Works Volcity #4. water proof, salt friendly, user firendly and snappy styleing. I currently use 4 Water Works reels, three Volcity and one ULA. If you realy want some inside information on how to, not have any bother with and very little up keep on thoes reels just let me know. captpaul462@aol.com
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Well it doesn't get any better than this ! Thanks Cap'n Paul, I'll check out the Water Works Velocity #4 and then I'll email you in a bit. You may not believe this but in the back of my mind was a hope that you'd see my post and reply !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I use the Scientific Anglers System 2 reels. There're not snappy looking but they are bullet proof and have a drag as good as you will ever need.
    Retail, they run in the $175 range, but the last one I picked up I got for $110 on the net
    As I reported recently a replacement for a part that I lost was mailed to me free of charge with in a few days.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I go with the Dud's recomendation. All I use are the system 2's. Dropped them off cliffs, fell on them, dropped them in the sand, usually leave them in the truck for weeks at a time. Plus, I like some extra weight in the reel, easier on the wrist.
    Your hooks sharp????

ive got a trion on my 9wt, no issues
    the tiogas are also very popular
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Montana Moose - For us oldies, if you can find a Hardy Zenith, mine still keeps on tickin, also used a 1495 with #9 line, and it is still working like a dog too.

Wow, thanks everyone...lots of choices...I looked at the SA's and kinda wanting something fancier looking though I'm sure the SA's function just fine...thanks dudley, Micropteris...I looked at Trion and Tioga also...they looked great too, thanks mdram.

Jonezee, no kidding? The Pflueger isn't effected by the salt much? I have a few 1495's and only use them in fresh water...never occured to me they'd be ok in the salt, but what do I know? Thank you ! I haven't had a shot at a Hardy Zenith lately but I'll keep a watch for those too.

Thanks folks, I think I'm all set now !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Nick!!!
    Our reels aren't cool lookin'!!! I hope the fish don't find out!!!

( sorry Moose )
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

dudley ! It's not like that at all ! And I know the fish don't care.....what the deal is, the reel will be a Bday present for a bud turning 40...so I thought it would be neat to kinda go all out...thinking spare spool too. I know you're kidding and I'd have no prob with an SA reel...!

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread