+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone in October?

Default Yellowstone in October?

I may get a chance to spend a couple days in Yellowstone in the middle of October. Basically, it would be one good solid day of fishing.

Would it be worthwhile to try fishing the park during that time of year?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Yellowstone in October?

Jeffn,
    One thing for sure, you'll have all the waters to yourself. We used to do Jackson, Grand Teton and Y'Stone in late September thru early October but now since last year we are there in early thru late October and lemme tell ya you can count on unpredictable weather. Usually tough and blustery. I personally don't mind it cause the fishing is GREAT, but apparently everyone else does cause they're GONE.

Mark

OKAY! Try this again,,,, YES, fishing should be great, don't know if services will be available, check on the Yellowstone park website. They will have that info and how to get a park liscense. If the park services are closed, there are several places just outside of the park that are open till late in the year, And they are very helpful with info. Jackson Hole, Cody, West Yellowstone, Idaho, all the chambers of commerce have connections and info to help you plan.

Do know, if you fish outside the park, hunting season is on so a florescent orange vest is not a bad idea.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Jeff,
    There is never a bad time to go to the park. I fished the last 4 days of September last fall and had the time of my life. Not busy, tons of fish and beautiful weather. That said, I have seen nights in the 20's in August, so be prepared. Where else can you stand in a stream with bison and elk on either side with a geyser steaming away behind you?
    Go for it and have fun.
    Rex

Jeffn,
    All of the above AND as Byron noted, all park services will be closed except for the speeed traps. Also, you must obtain a Y'Stone Park fishing permit along with either a Wyoming and/or Montana fishing license to fish the park. The Y'Stone permits are available at entry points into the park. Grand Teton requires only a Wyoming license. There are some GREAT deals for lodging in Jackson at about that time too. PM me and I'll tell ya where.

Mark
    PS: And do remember the bear spray, cause they ain't quite asleep yet.

I would never turn down an opportunity to fish there - at that time of year it's worth it just to hear all of the elk bugling. Fished there in the middle of Oct 2 years ago. Week before there they had 8 inches of snow; when we got there it was 65 degrees every day and sunny - not good weather to catch runners coming out of Hebgen or for BWOs on the Firehole, but we found fish in other parts of the park. NE corner fished pretty well using nymphs/streamers; no dries though. Lewis/Shoshone channel worth the hike. Rivers outside of the park are another option if the weather turns on you.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I've been to YNP 3 times, but have never fished there. Would it be better to hire a guide if I only have a couple days and have never fished the area before? Anyone have any good stories about guides in the area? (I don't really care about the bad ones, just the good ones )

Thanks,

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    Jeffn,
    Also, you must obtain a Y'Stone Park fishing permit along with either a Wyoming and/or Montana fishing license to fish the park.
    Incorrect

The last time I went, all that was required was the park permit....$10 if I'm remembering correctly. A few years ago.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I stand corrected on my license requirements statement to fish within the park. In fact, only a $15 permit fee is required. BUT, when fishing boundary waters, it would be advisable to obtain these (Idaho, Montana,Wyoming) licenses.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread