+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newby looking for knowledge

1. Default newby looking for knowledge

I'm pretty much new to fly fishing,and was just wondering if anyone wouldn't mind sharing some good tips (easy ways to get a bite,best fly colors ect...) knowledge,and experience.Anything that would be good for a newby to know.Like I said I am new to fly fishing and am just trying to learn as much as possible. I have tied a few flys like wooly buggers,dry flys and streamers.

Default Re: newby looking for knowledge

Welcome aboard, this is a great place to get help and advice, but I think your question is inviting a response the length a large book. Maybe if you can be specific we can help you out better?
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Welcome to The Family, You might want to put your location in your profile it lets us know where you is and we can be more helpful, might even be someone in your hometown on.
    Again Welcome
    Bill

4. Default Re: newby looking for knowledge

Ya, your probably right Gringo about the book length of info.To be more specific I was fishing on the hamonaset river in CT and I just can't get a bite.I've tried streamers and drifting wooly buggers but nothings happening.I don't know if there might be a type of bug or techniqe that is golden or what?If my camera worked I would post a pic of the area to show, but I will just have to describe it.I is a moderetly slow stream the comes to a four foot dam that broken,after the dam the water gets nice and deep and rapid, but soon slows down to a moderate speed.After the riffles it goes under a large bridge.The if standing at the bridge you can drift your line easily to the bridge.I'm fishing for searun trout if that helps?

It might not be just you
    I've been told there has been trouble with poachers in the Hammonassett netting trout in the sea-run management area
    These South American immigrants were not prosecuted due to the DEP's new policy of education over prosecution.
    I don't have first hand knowledge of this, but it was related to me by an officer of the Hammonasett TU chapter.

If you see any suspicious activity while fishing please call the Ct. DEP TIPs (turn in poachers) Hotline
    800-842-4357
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

6. Default Re: newby looking for knowledge

Maybe, but I've been thinking and it might just be because trout season just started and everyone is flocking to the river and more likely the time of day.I'm going to try to get there nice and early one of theese mornings.
    I'm thinking that I just haven't fished there long enough yet.
    Im just excited about catching fish,and might be getting impatient.

I have a new question,does anyone know an easy stonefly pattern?Keep in mind that I'm new and don't have a lot of supplies. Ps,I know that this would qualify as a Fly tying subject but I don't want to start a new thread for this one little question.

Some easy stone fly patterns?

How about a Montana Stone or even a wooly worm.
    If you do the Montana use brown and pale yellow in a size 10 to match the local yellow stones we have here in CT.

I make mine from just rabbit fur.
    I wrap the hook with lead and flatten it with pliers. I use a pinch of fur for the tail, then dub the body with more fur in a loop, finish the head, and brush the body out with velcro or a tooth brush.
    Very simple
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

If it's a wet pattern you want....how about a Brook's stone....

9. Default Re: newby looking for knowledge

Thanks I will get some more stuff to tie some stoneflys.I have another question,how do you fish a nymph.

Newby ; Go to the home page and click on Fly fishing basics . You will open a wealth of knowledge . Be prepared to read and read and read . It will be a very profitable journey !! Keith

+ Reply to Thread