+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Power For Furling

Default Using Power For Furling

I use the hanging weight method for furling but am wondering some things about using power.

What would happen if one used power for the furling and did an excessive amount of furling?

If one didn't maximally twist the two legs ...so the weight hanging technique would give a loose furl....could that be over come by doing a lot more furling by using a power?

Default Re: Using Power For Furling

ducksterman
    I'm not sure what you are asking but I only have used power, first a cordless drill with a cup hook engaging a paperclip attached to the end of the leader - furled for ~ 2 1/2 minutes or until it shortened the original length by 10% and then reversed it for ~600 revolutions or 45 seconds ot so. I now use a corded drill as the power is more consistent throughout the furling process.
    mcsteff
    p.s. When you furl too much the leader breaks and you start over. Good practice.

mcsteff ,

So we are on the same page....

I believe the first step e.i. the reducing by 10% is referred to as "twisting" each leg and the reversing is the "furling".

I'm wondering what would happen if when you do the furling with power what would happen if you over did it?...would it break then or if you don't allow too much tension would it "pigtail"...or would it just unfurl to a certain degree once the tension is released?

I'm finding that the gurus on furling believe in getting as much twist and subsequently as much furling as possible...supposedly giving optimal performance. They will take the twisting process to just the point of pig tailing and then mark their board for that particular material. Each material can have a different amount it likes.

I'm playing around with some pure microbraid [spectra] leaders and find that it takes much more than 10% to get a good twist and furl.

"...What would happen if one used power for the furling and did an excessive amount of furling?"
    I've done that several times while trying to figure out the optimium amount of time to twist the lines with my cordless drill. With my jig and pattern, you hear a "snap" and end up with 83 feet of line in a compact and hopelessly twisted bird's nest, approximately 6 inches in diameter!

Quote Originally Posted by OldBaldGuy
    "...What would happen if one used power for the furling and did an excessive amount of furling?"
    I've done that several times while trying to figure out the optimium amount of time to twist the lines with my cordless drill. With my jig and pattern, you hear a "snap" and end up with 83 feet of line in a compact and hopelessly twisted bird's nest, approximately 6 inches in diameter!
    Are you sure you are not talking about the twisting process?....been there done that

The final furling does not determine the tightness of the furl -- the initial twisting determines the tightness of the furl. You can over-furl the final process, but it will only relax/unfurl to the tightness determined by the initial twisting (10% or so of length). So use power if you wish, but the weighted furl method works just as well.

Duckster,
    Where does reverse twisting come into play???...I have Kathy Scott's DVD and all twisting is done in the same direction...then she/you take the leader off the form and hang it till it finnishes the "Furling Process" on it's own....

I even called and talked to her to be sure that I had this all straight in my mind before trying it myself...Both "Legs" are reduced in the same direction...am I just not seeing the path clearly...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Are you sure you are not talking about the twisting process?....been there done that
    You're right, of course. Sorry. I misunderstood the question. I only use the cordless drill for the initial "10%" twisting, and then use the hanging weight system for the final furling.

Quote Originally Posted by billknepp
    Duckster,
    Where does reverse twisting come into play???...I have Kathy Scott's DVD and all twisting is done in the same direction...then she/you take the leader off the form and hang it till it finnishes the "Furling Process" on it's own....

I even called and talked to her to be sure that I had this all straight in my mind before trying it myself...Both "Legs" are reduced in the same direction...am I just not seeing the path clearly...
    Bill,The folks that use power for both twisting and furling....twist both legs in one direction and furl in the reverse direction..... When we use the weight for the furling it automatically goes in the opposite direction as the twist.....

Ducksterman

Did you see and understand the pictures I posted on your other thread about my swivel and key ring for furling.[url][/uhttp://flyanglersonline.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15846&p=149291&hilit=#p149291r l]

Knucks

+ Reply to Thread